Chapter 24

Malik sir is my dad?
I kept on asking myself that question the whole night. I didn't sleep. I knew I was suppose to feel something, something in my heart but I didn't. I didn't feel the connection. It was strange that I wasn't even that happy. But I wasn't sad too. For a moment I thought of the good times we had back then in my school but still felt neutral.

It was slightly after six in the morning that I took my bag and sneaked out. I was lucky to get a taxi about then minutes away from home.  That was when it dawned on me where I was heading.

I searched for my phone in my bag and dialed Malik sir's number. The word dad had never come to my mind. It surprised me to notice he picked up the call fast. I never thought he would for I had wronged him severely in the past.

"He...hello sir!"I stammered.
"Hi! Could you please tell me who I'm speaking with?"came his polite question.
I knew he didn't have that number of mine so I went ahead with the introduction.
"It's me."
Was that even an introduction.

"Who?" he again enquired.
"Zarah,"my name was all I could mutter while the taxi driver was still asking me for our destination.

"Angel, are you okay?"
"No, where are you? I want to meet you now."

"I'm in my warehouse,"he went further to give the actual location.
"I'll be right there."with that being said, I hung up.

Rayyan's POV
I woke up to some hard consecutive knocks on my door. I gave my clock a good look to confirm the time and it still said 6:45.
Who could it be this early? What could be so important?

Without more hesitation, I head to the door and opened it. It was Aunt Amina looking worn out.

"Zarah left the house, I didn't know where she is now Rayyan,"she informed.
"What? Aunt calm down. Let me check the garden and other places."

"I have searched. The gateman confirmed that she went out earlier today."
"Where is Maryam?" I wanted to know.
"Maryam! Maryam!"I called out before she came rushing.

"Do you have any idea where she went?"
"No, she sneaked out while I was sleeping,"she simply answered with tears ready to roll down. I became clueless.

"Did you tell her who her dad was?" Aunt asked Aunt Zaliha.
"I just showed her his picture."

"Where did you find his picture? I thought I burnt them all eighteen years ago."
"In her drawer. That one they took while she was still in school."

"Malik's picture?"
"Yes."

"What's wrong with you Zaliha. Didn't you see the scar above his ear. He's Hassan twin, Hussain. What were you thinking? You know how he is, why did you do that? What if he harm my daughter? You knew he didn't like me from the start. He may take revenge on my daughter. Zarah is in trouble."This time Aunt Amina was crying in pain.

I didn't wait for anyone to talk when I grabbed my car key and head out. The rest trailed behind me and I found myself taking the route to Malik's house. I drove really fast for I was extremely scared. Scared my Posh Peony may be in danger.

Was Malik pretending all this while to gain her trust and revenge for his twin's rejection by her mom?

I couldn't provide an answer for any question I ask myself. I found myself at the front of Malik's mansion. Enquiring from the gateman, I was informed their boss was in the warehouse. The directions were all I needed and after getting them, I wasted no time.
There was no time to waste. The love of life needed to be saved.

Zarah's POV
I stood, looking at him and wondering how you could be my father. I never had the urge to call him dad but somehow they said he's my dad. I sat down wondering whether or not to ask him if he was my father.
He asked me whether everything was fine but no nothing was fine and I was very scared. I didn't feel free with him as I did those days. He didn't ask me further but allowed me to continue to go deep in my ocean of thought.