Chapter 8

Lucy's fear grew as fast as feet were moving. Trying to outrun the few lights that were still lit by households, slowly fading to darkness. Darkness, darkness was bad. And for Lucy Heartfilia's situation it was horrifying. Running through the bad side of Magnolia, at the brink of night, with no protection. My celestial keys.... how could I not have my keys?! Lucy mentally bashed herself as she ran along the river. I always have my keys! I put them down on my dresser when I went to bed like usual..... and I would have grabbed them when I went out but.... Natsu. Natsu. Natsu........ oh my god. Lucy stopped dead in her tracks. Natsu. I left Natsu alone, all day .In that time he could have read my romance cover to cover, and pleased himself over and over again. Lucy panted squeezing and locking her eyes shut in hope of rolling off the thought. And what he said..... when he read it...... And I walked.... all the way across town... To sort out my thoughts........ and... I accomplished nothing.... I'm such an idiot! Lucy gritted her teeth.
Something metal was kicked from a dark alleyway behind Lucy. Slowly she turned.... and as she did a silhouette that outlined a man, a large man came into view. All of a sudden Lucy was no longer tired and was now charging down the edge of the river at an even greater pace. Oh my god. Oh my god oh my god oh my god! Lucy panted hard and fast as she slammed her feet against the smooth pavement of the river's edge. So smooth one could slip. Lucy slipped, and was now plummeting toward the freezing waters that awaited her. As if time had slowen down, Lucy slowly felt a strong but gentle arm rap itself around her waist, and pulling her a step away from the river. Oh great Lucy panicked. He caught me. I'd rather have fallen into that river then have been kidnapped by some scary man! If only I had my keys..... no. I shouldn't depend on my keys for everything. I'll fight him one on one. But..... what should I do? Should I dig my fingers into him arm? should I jab him in the gut? Should I bite his neck? Lucy turned her head to the side in view of the strangler's shoulder. Should I...... should I..... Lucy noticed a mark of red apon the man's shoulder. Blood? No, the red is bright. Too bright to be blood. And clean edged, almost like a tattoo. A tattoo.... or an emblem.. "Are you okay?" came a voice that was all too familiar yet foreign. Lucy froze and tensed as she felt another arm secure itself across her stomach. As if Lucy was in battle, her reflexes told her to break free. And.... then what? Lucy didn't have time to think, she broke free so fast that it felt like a blur even though it was just milliseconds ago. And she had just now realized that she has broken free from a man and was falling back to a river. Oh man I should have thought this through.... but once again a forcefully graceful arm swooped in and saved her from the freezing laps of water. "Calm down it's only me." he soothed. Carrying her further away from the river's edge this time. "What are you doing here?! Someone could have seen you!" Only Lucy could make a whisper sound so horrifying. "I came looking for you." he breathed. His warm breath against the cold skin of Lucy's neck made her shiver. "Cold?" he asked. "I'm fine." Lucy insisted. "Still, maybe home would be a better place to be then here." Natsu joked. "Yea." Lucy chuckled.

At Lucy's apartment.......
Lucy slumped against her headboard whilst Natsu sat on the end with his feet together, as if doing yoga.
" Natsu really, what were you doing out there." Lucy pushed.
" Looking for you. I don't like walking around the bad side of town for fun, less I'm picking a fight!" Natsu grinned toothy and all.
"You shouldn't be walking at all! Not in your condition!"
" Pfft, I'm fine! I mean I'm not healed, but I'm better."
" That doesn't matter! In your condition you would have been as defenseless as me!"
" Yea, but this poor defenseless soul saved yours from freezing to death."
Lucy blushed.
"Twice." Natsu added.
"Yea...." Lucy cleared her throat gently. " Yea you did.... thank you." Lucy muttered softly. " You're.... you're welcome." Something about the tone in Natsu's voice seemed surprised, which
made Lucy feel a little hurt, until she saw he was blushing slighty. Surprised.. Or.. Flattered?.. Did I just.. Flatter Natsu?. " What were you running from anyway?" Natsu asked out of curiousity. Lucy paused for a moment. " I thought I was being followed." She said plainly. " If only to know that it was a salamander." She shot him a look. A crease formed between his brows and he corked his head to the side like a dog. " What do you mean?" " You were following me! I thought you were a rapist or something!" " That wasn't me Luce.... I came from your apartment....remember?" Natsu spoke cautiously. Lucy's eyes grew wide. "Oh my god." she whispered in horror. Suddenly feeling dizzy, she forced herself to sit down on the bed next to Natsu. " Oh. My. God." She broke apart her words. Lucy could feel Natsu's expression of pity beside her and ignored it. " Hey, it's okay." he spoke softly. His voice was soft. So soft that it could be felt in Lucy's heart. Lucy could do nothing but turn to look at him. He slowly and gently nudged Lucy to rest into his collarbone. He slowly stroked her hair and then turned his head to the top of her's and whispered," It's okay," He closed his eyes. " I won't let anything happen to you."