13 | Follow the Spiders

Zacznij od początku

Looking down at poor Hermione, her face was full of fear and her arm was held out, probably because she was holding the mirror. Her eyes were lifeless─still open and full of colour─but lifeless. Until that moment, things hadn't really sunk in about just how bad it was, but now I understood.

After giving us all the information that they had, which wasn't very much, McGonagall led us back to the Gryffindor common room, where she made an announcement to everyone. "Could I have your attention, please?" she waited until all eyes were on her before saying what she needed to. "Because of recent events, these new rules will be put into effect immediately: 'All students will return to their house common rooms by six o'clock every evening. All students will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No exceptions.' I should tell you this. Unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught...it is likely the school will be closed."

As McGonagall left the room, everyone stared around in shock, not believing that the school we all loved so much could be closed. "We've got to talk to Hagrid." Harry turned to Ron and me. "I can't believe it's him...but if he did set the monster loose last time, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets. That's a start."

"But you heard McGonagall." Ron reminded him. "We're not allowed to leave the tower except for class."

"I think it's time to get my dad's old cloak out again."

That night, once everyone had gone to sleep, Ron, Harry, and I slipped under Harry's invisibility cloak and made our way out of the school and towards Hagrid's house, proving once again that this cloak was a life saver. Once there, we knocked on the door.

"Who's there? Hello?" Hagrid called as he kicked the door open. "Hello?"

Coming out from the cloak, we stared up at Hagrid who was holding a giant crossbow. "What's that for?" Harry eyed him.

"Nothing." Hagrid lowered the weapon. "I was expecting...it doesn't matter. Come on in. I just made a pot of tea."

After inviting us in, Hagrid started to pour three sups of tea but ended up just spilling it everywhere. "Hagrid, are you okay?" I looked up at him, wondering what had made him so nervous.

"I'm fine." he nodded slightly. "I'm all right."

"Did you hear about Hermione?" Harry asked.

Setting down the teapot, Hagrid sighed. "Yeah. I heard about that, all right."

"Look, we have to ask you something." Harry got right to the point. "Do you know who's opened the Chamber of Secrets?"

"What you had to understand about that is-" Hagrid started, but was interrupted by a knock on the door and his dog, Fang, barking. "Quick, under the cloak. Don't say a word. Be quiet, all of you."

Running into the corner of the small room, we hid under the cloak and watched as Hagrid opened the door. "Professor Dumbledore, sir." he greeted the headmaster.

"Good evening, Hagrid." Dumbledore stepped to the side, allowing us to see the second man he was with. "I wonder, could we...?"

"Of course." Hagrid held the door open and waved from them to join him inside. "Come in. Come in."

"That's Dad's boss," Ron said when he got a good look at the second man. "Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic."

Sighing, Cornelius looked up at Hagrid. "Bad business, Hagrid, very bad business. Had to come. Three attacks on Muggle-borns. Things have gone far enough. The Ministry's got to act."

"But I never..." Hagrid's eyes went to Dumbledore. "You know I never, professor."

Dumbledore only nodded. "I want it understood, Cornelius...that Hagrid has my full confidence."

"Albus, look, Hagrid's record is against him." Cornelius shook his head. "I've got to take him."

"Take me?" Hagrid questioned. "Take me where? Not Azkaban prison."

"I'm afraid we have no choice, Hagrid."

Just then, the front door opened again and Draco's dad, Lucius Malfoy, walked in. "Already here, Fudge?" his face showed no emotion. "Good."

"What are you doing here?" Hagrid snapped, not afraid to show his hatred towards the evil man. "Get out of my house!"

"Believe me...I take absolutely no pleasure being inside your..." Lucius stepped closer to us, causing us to jump back. "You call this a house? No. I simply called up the school and was told the headmaster was here."

Dumbledore eyed Lucius, almost daring him to try something. "Well, what exactly is it that you want with me?"

"The other governors and I have decided it's time for you to step aside." Lucius held out a scroll. "This is an order of suspension. You'll find all twelve signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you've rather lost your touch. Well, what, with all these attacks...there'll be no Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts. I can only imagine what an awful loss that would be to the school."

"You can't take Professor Dumbledore away." Hagrid stood up for his boss and friend. "Take him away and the Muggle-borns won't stand a chance. You mark my words, there'll be killings next!"

Lucius rose one eyebrow higher than the other as if to question Hagrid's words with one simple expression. "You think so?"

"Calm yourself, Hagrid," Dumbledore spoke. "If the governors desire my removal...I will, of course, step aside. However, you will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it."

As Dumbledore spoke, he seemed to look straight past Lucius and at us instead, somehow knowing we were there. "Admirable sentiments." Lucius started heading for the door. "Shall we? Fudge."

As Cornelius turned to Hagrid, motioning for him to follow, Hagrid cleared his throat. "If-If anybody was looking for some stuff then all they'd have to do would be to follow the spiders. Yep. That would lead them right. That's all I have to say. And someone will need to feed Fang while I'm away."

When the door was shut for good, the three of us came out from the cloak again, leaving just us and Fang left in the small house. "Hagrid's right," Ron said. "With Dumbledore gone, there'll be an attack a day."

"Look." Harry pointed to a line of spiders heading out Hagrid's window. "Come on. Come on, Fang."

Grabbing a lantern from Hagrid's shelf, Harry pushed the door open and headed down the steps to where we could see the spiders heading down the wall, into the grass, and towards the forest. "Come on." Harry started walking, Fang following him like the good dog he was.

"What?" Ron squeaked, truly terrified.

"You heard what Hagrid said." I turned to him. "'Follow the spiders.' They're heading to the Dark Forest, which means so are we. You've fought a bloody troll, so don't tell me you're scared of spiders."

Ron gulped. "Why spiders? Why couldn't it be 'follow the butterflies?'"