2

"Feitan." Chrollo's voice rang out over the empty room. At his name, Feitan jumped and Chrollo took that as a sign of how distracted he was. All of the Troupe were eating dinner or whatever appropriate food time it was now; something they rarely did together. No one was sure whether it was the schedules they had or just the convenience that caused this today, but no one really cared.

"Danchou!" He finally reacted, seemingly minutes later.

"Thanks for listening; I have a question."

Feitan looked around quickly and furtively.  Members of the Troupe lay sprawled around the current hideout, the old Chimera Ant nest, eating and now eavesdropping. The moon peeked in through broken window panes. It was disturbingly late to be enjoying a meal; one wouldn't know if it was dinner or breakfast. Feitan forced himself to relax and shrugged. There was no need to be on edge around the other spiders.

Chrollo waved Feitan, who was still standing across the room, to sit with him. Phinks and Machi were there as well. Chrollo had already settled himself on a stone. Feitan stared at the three from out of the shadows. 

What is that look on his face? Certainly it isn't... fear? Chrollo's excellent control over his emotions almost slipped into a chuckle. It was odd to see his torturer like that.

"Feitan," he patted the spot next to him "come sit by me. No need to talk to you across the room. Plus it's cold."

Feitan glanced at Phinks and Machi. Phinks was shoveling food in his mouth as Machi picked at the poor excuse for cuisine. A mystery meat and some dried fruits... not the best meal she'd had. 

 "I'm worried about your performance, Feitan," Chrollo spoke. "Something is getting in the way of your concentration."

The dark man frowned and stared hard at the floor, admonished. "Disgustingly so" Phinks added in, belching.

"You shut up, disgusting,"  Feitan said in disgust. "Embarrassing."

"Come on, Feitan," Machi urged. "Just give it up."

"Meh,"  Feitan pushed a small rock around the floor with his toe, hunched into his tunic, hands jammed into his pockets. Why do they care?

His three fellow troupe members stayed silent and, finally, he sat by them. Feitan scowled as Chrollo spoke again "What's going on Feitan?" Chrollo sent a dark look at Phinks, who was chewing so loudly that he had to raise his voice. He was a bit disgusting. At least at the moment.

"You're acting oddly." Machi added.

"I doing my job!" Feitan insisted shrilly. 

Chrollo rolled his eyes. "Of course you are. And you're not letting the Troupe down in any way. But you're acting suspiciously, I can't help but hear rumors that you may be willing to betray me." Feitan shook his head fiercely, fists clenched at his side. 

"I'll cut to the chase. Where are you going when it rains and what are you doing? I gave you the benefit of the doubt by not following you today. But I must know my trust is not misplaced." Chrollo finally admitted the issue.