Chapter 23

"Can you shift yet?" I asked him

"Nope. Still can't feel him" he replied and I nodded.

"You got money?" I asked and he nodded. I stood at a bus stop, waiting for a taxi. I whistled for one approaching and it stopped. I told him my house address and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"The burned house?" he asked and I rolled my eyes.

"We're going to visit our cousins that lives next to the building" I told him and he nodded. Killian and I got in and the taxi drove off. I stared at familiar buildings and whispered the song the driver played.

I stared at my former highschool and soon we came across the telephone booth. I tore my gaze away from it and my demeanor changed when we got closer. The taxi stopped in front of the woods that led to my house. The street was cold and empty.

"11 quid" he said and Killian paid him. We waited for the driver to leave before walking into the street. The once bright house looked black without a rooftop. There were yellow tapes around the building that had do not enter written on it. We got under it and got into the building without a door. Killian brought out his flashlight from his hoodie and I took it from him and began to walk to Jerry's room. The house was a burned mess. I got into his room and began to search everywhere. I opened his wardrobe and saw half burned papers. I searched the papers until I saw a brown envelope. I opened it quickly and brought out a white paper and a picture, mom's picture.

A tear left my eyes but I wiped them quickly. I scanned the paper and saw two addresses. One in Dalwhinnie and the other in Manchester.

"We should go to the first address" Killian offered and I nodded. We left the building and went to the bus stop. A taxi approached us

"This address" Killian gave the man and we got into the car. I was hell nervous on going there. I closed my eyes to rest a little. After a couple of minutes, the taxi stopped in front of Davis Memorial mortuary. My heartbeat increased.

"She might work here" Killian said and I nodded, feeling relieved a little. Killian paid him and we got into the mortuary.

"Hello kids, who are you looking for?" the woman at the reception asked politely.

"McKenna Black" I told her and she typed the name into her Mac.

"Sorry but she doesn't work neither is she kept here" she said

"Maybe you should check old records" I requested and she sighed and nodded.

"Excuse me" she left and I kept my elbow on the counter. Soon she came back grinning

"You were right. Unfortunately she was moved to this address" she said and I collected it quickly.

"Thank you Miss" I told her and we left. The address was in Manchester.

"Guess we have to go to Manchester" I told him and he looked at me. I missed his smile and laugh.

"How?" he asked and I fought the urge to smack his forehead.

"Train" I told him and we walked to the subway. We tipped in coins and rushed to wait with the crowd.

"I hope you're okay with us being friends Wren? I don't want to see you sad" Killian asked and I shrugged. I hated to be reminded

" The train is here" I told him and we got in together with the crowd. We found our seat which was in front of an old man with an earpiece on.

"This train is only stopping at Manchester so please get down if you aren't going there" I heard a voice through the buzzer and I sighed in nervousness. The doors locked and the train began to move.

"Enjoy your 7-hour ride" he said. The train had been moving for an hour and I became bored. I only saw trees around us.

Killian was so boring. He just looked ahead, not blinking or sleeping. I glanced at the old man and saw a smile forming on his face. I got up, ignoring Killian's questioning look and sat close to the man.

"Howdy" I greeted him politely.

"Oi" he greeted back

"Sorry for intruding but are you okay?" I asked when I saw tears on his cheek.

"Yes little one. These are just happy tears. I can see my grandchildren again" he said and I grinned.

"You should listen to this. They love it" he said and I shared one of the earpiece. Killian gave me a nasty look but I rolled my eyes. The song played and my eyes widened.

"I love this song" I told him. It was Cecilia and the satellite by Andrew McMahon.

"If I could fly, then I would know
What life looks like from up above and down below
I'll keep you safe
I'll keep you dry
Don't be afraid
Cecilia I'm the satellite
And you're the sky"
we sang and I giggled. Memories of mom and I singing got into my head and my smile faded. I missed her. I laid my head on his shoulder as tears threatened to spill from my eyes. My eyes got sleepy and I felt someone lift me up. I fisted the jacket and let sleep take over.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter
Read, comment and vote
I love you all 🖤🖤🖤