《3》

"U-uncle Yoriichi..." Shiro muttered when he set eyes on the man with the same burgundy hair and red eyes as his uncle. The man raised his brow and gave the boy a confused look. "A-ah, I'm sorry... I thought you were my uncle..."

The man chuckled. "It's alright. I'm Kamado Tanjuro, nice to meet you." The man greeted him as Shiro sat in front of him. "May I ask where you are headed?"

Shiro nodded. "Yes. I'm heading to the Divine Lands." Just as he said that, the kids from before peeked in and exclaimed in surprise, telling him that it was hard to go there. "Yes, but... I want to find my father. I think someone might be able to help me there." He stated with a serious tone as the children quiet down.

"Is that so..." Tanjuro said as he looked at Shiro with eyes of sympathy. "The Divine Lands really is hard to enter. Even during the annual day they open, only a few can enter its gates. My family had only entered twice." He said.

"R-really?!" Shiro exclaimed, feeling a lot more motivated. "You've been there!? How did you get in!?"

Tajuro chuckled at his excitement and told him to quiet down. "Well, it was around six years ago, I believe." Just as he said that, a girl around Shiro's age entered the room and she confirmed his statement. "Ah, let me introduce you. This is my eldest daughter, Nezuko."

"N-nice to meet you, m-miss N-nezuko...· He greeted shyly. He was not the best with girls, even at his old home. "I'm (L/N) Shiro..."

"(L/N)?" Tanjuro's eyes widened as he glanced at Shiro with confusion. "Your last name is (L/N)?" Shiro nodded and asked why he was so surprised. "The saintess that passed away all those years ago... right before the calamity, she passed away. Her last name was (L/N)."

"W-what do you mean, sir?" Shiro asked, his voice stuttering. "I've heard about the calamity as well, what exactly happened at the calamity?"

Tanjiro entered the room, along with his mother as they looked at him with a worried look. "Have you never heard of the calamity that happened?" Kie asked, serving snacks and drinks for the guest and her family.

"Well.." Tanjuro started. "Fifteen years ago, news of the saintess' death spread and the high priest and king confirmed it. It was said that she died of a curse. No one really knows who it was that cursed her, but the king suspected the demon clan."

"Why the demon clan?" Shiro asked.

"There were traces of dark magic in the Holy Garden where she was found." Tanjuro answered, then Tanjiro took over the story.

"They say that the saintess was found in the garden, it was almost like she was sleeping, but her heartbeat and body heat were gone." He said as the others nodded. "They said that a demon snuck inside the Holy Garden and killed the saintess, but..."

"But?" Shiro asked.

"No one can enter the Holy Garden without permission." Nezuko continued. "Only those with permission can enter. And the ones who can give permission are the high priest and the saintess themselves, no else can."

"Then, how did the demon get in in the first place?" Shiro was confused. How can a demon enter a place that only the high priest and the saintess can enter.

"That's the problem." Tanjiro sighed. "You'll be burned for trying to enter with bad intentions or if you're part of the demon clan. So a lot of people were not believing that the saintess got cursed by the demon clan. A lot of people were suspecting people from the Holy Garden themselves."

"But the people there work for the saintess and high priest." Nezuko added. "There's no way they'd try anything. They've been serving their family for so long too!"

"What do you mean?" Shiro cocked his head to the side.

"The high priest and saintess, they are part of the same family." Tanjuro informed. "A lot of high priests and saints have come from them. People from their family tree have given birth to powerful sorcerers, priests, and warriors. And the king from 15 generations ago gave them the Holy Garden, with the help of those from the Divine Lands."

Shiro stayed silent. He was beginning to get pieces of the puzzle. But this was not the puzzle he was looking for. 'My mother... a relative of Michikatsu and the saintess... did mother know this?'

"Shiro," Shiro snapped out of his thoughts as he glanced over to Tanjuro. "If you really are part of the saintess' family, you might be able to get to the Divine Lands much faster."

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

"We'll see you soon!" Tanjiro waved his family goodbye as he set off, Shiro behind him. After Shiro was told of the story, the very next day Tanjiro had volunteered to accompany him to the closest town and help him get to the capital. "Shiro, didn't you know about your family history? I'm quite surprised! I think your family is amazing!"

Shiro sighs as he stopped in his tracks, Tanjiro stopping as well, glancing over him with a small frown. "My mother... passed away a few days ago..."

"Oh..." Tanjiro's breathing hitched, as he felt tears well up in his eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't-"

"It's okay." Shiro cut him off. "As for why I didn't know is because my mother doesn't remember a lot of things. But... it's true. I'm related to the high priest."

"Really?!" Tanjiro exclaimed, surprised that their theory from before was true.

"Yup. He used to come and visit mother all the time and gave her medicine." Shiro explained, raising his hands over his head as he looked at the sky above. "I'm looking for my father whose face I've never seen." He sighed, kicking a pebble to the side.

"Oh, has your father never visited you or your mother?" Tanjiro asked, feeling a lot of pity for this boy. Shiro nodded and Tanjiro felt anger inside him. "That's just horrible! Family should support each other all the time! Don't tell me he wasn't there during your mother's funeral too!"

"That's right. That bastard didn't show up during her funeral!" He exclaimed, anger bubbling inside him as he clenched his fist, letting them drop to his sides when he felt the wind pick up so suddenly. "I'll find that deadbeat and show him a piece of my mind!" Tanjiro cheered.

The two of them began to chatter, mostly Tanjiro telling Shiro to stay strong and that he can always come back to their home and they would welcome him with open arms.

Unbeknownst to the two, during Shiro's outburst, somewhere far away, far from where the two boys stood, a man sitting in a dark room, staring at a portrait of someone smiling softly that was shadowed, noticed the disturbance. How could he not... [👀]

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

Shiro gawked at the large town in front of him. Never has he seen such a large crowd in his life. The village he used to live in only had a population of less than 100, everyone was a tight-knit family there.

"Shiro..." Tanjiro snapped him out of his thoughts. Shiro was holding onto his shirt, glancing around and flinching at every person that came near. "A-are you okay..?" Somehow, Tanjiro felt some kind of deja vu. [I understood that reference]

"It's just..." Shiro flinched when a kid ran past them. "T-there's so m-m-many people..!" He whispered, feeling his insides crunch up. "I-I-I don't like it here!" Shiro was basically shaking to his bones and Tanjiro noticed how new Shiro was to large crowds.

"Then, I'll be with you until you can be comfortable." He said with a smile, making Shiro feel all soft and calm. "Let's stay at an inn for now! I know a great place!" He began to drag the boy with him, Shiro made sure to keep close to him.

"Are you sure it's okay for you to stay out for so long?" Shiro asked. He was concerned that his family might get angry and he didn't want to get angry at Tanjiro for his own fault.

"It's okay." Tanjiro reassured him as they stopped in front of a cute looking place. It was pastel-colored. "My mother knows a bit of wind magic, she'll send me a letter. Plus, the carriage that goes to the capital won't arrive until tomorrow. Anyway," He stopped gesturing to the place. "Here we are!"