Chapter nine/Learning how to love myself

How did you find me?

You left your van at the office garage.

You could've just asked someone to drop it off.

He quickly glanced at me.

Mrs. Moon told me that you're at the City hospital, with your ex. I thought you could use some help.

Thinking how my boss was so different from what I had thought he would be, I smiled to myself.

Being the strong, independent woman that you are, you need no help Lauren.

Thanks Tae. I appreciate your words.

He was silent for a while before speaking again.

You've a child with him, right?

Yes but I gave him up the moment he gave me up and for what? To be with a slut...

He hesitantly placed his hand on my shoulder. My body relaxed under his touch. All this years, all I've seeked was comfort. Surprisingly, a man that I've just met could provide it better than the one I had devoted myself to. If only we'd met before.

We are here. I'll walk you to the door.

He got out and rounded off at the car door, pulling it open for me. He handed me a water bottle.

I looked at him questioningly.

Get a sip. You look worn out.

I couldn't speak. Emotions welled in my throat made me choke.

Thankyou...thank you...All I ever wished for was to be loved by Jason. Was it extravagant? Was I ever greedy? Where did we go wrong. No Lauren, it had never been 'We', it'd always been 'You'.

I gulped down a quarter of the water and handed it back to Taehyung.

Look at me Lauren.

I refused to look at him. I should've been a mess, a joke.

He tilted my chin up.

Shush...you are beautiful. You are enough. Love yourself, will you?

I nodded fiercely denying to give up, refusing to cry.

I am just enough. I'm going to love myself for what I was, what I am and what I hope to become.

It must've been hard for you.

He murmured to himself.

Making sure that I was fine, he brought me to the door step and knocked twice.

I owe you thrice.

I smiled, trying to lift the atmosphere.

You sure do.

Mr. Kim, it's so good to see you again. Please join us for dinner.

Glancing at his silver wrist watch he gave my mum a polite nod.

I would love to, some other day. Good night Mrs. Moon.

See you around Lauren.

Good night Tae.

Thanks for today.

He got into his car and winked at us.
Mom chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

How's Eon Jin?

She's fine mom. Don't worry, aight?

Get changed, I've cooked some noodles for you.

Where's Stace?

Off to bed.

I nodded and climbed upstairs, to my bedroom. I turned the lights on and heard an engine roar back to life.

Taehyung.

Taehyung

I watched as the lights in her room turned on.

Time to go home Taehyung.

I hummed to myself.

Rummaging in the kitchen, I found some stale slices of pizza regretting my choice of not getting a housekeeper. I had never had one. We were all to busy with ourselves to ever mind it.

Things had changed now. Mr. Bang had retired and chosen me to be his successor. There would've been plenty of people dying to be me but all I ever wanted was to be me. My job never allowed me to be who I really was. There was a constant threat of being slaughtered by media and slandered by haters.