Chapter two/Crossing over

LAUREN

I look at myself in the mirror, smoothing the front of my skirt down. What a difference six months make. Gone is the extra weight that had been lingering on my petite frame for the last six years, thanks to some cardio at the gym and the fact that I stopped eating. You would think that your ex boyfriend/fiancee leaving you would have you drowning your sorrows in carbs, ice cream, and cheese, but it was actually quite the opposite for me. On the rare occasion I actually have a little bit of an appetite, the second I put something in my mouth, I feel sick. (No, I'm not pregnant.) So, I am getting there slowly but surely. I have grown out my hair, adding layers into it instead of just the ‘nerd bob’ I had been sporting. I also added some golden, honey-colored highlights.

I’m dressed in a tight, gray knee-length pencil skirt that I paired with a light pink silk shirt with a ruffled collar and cap sleeves. I’ve added my very favorite Manolo Blahnik black Mary Janes, a Mother’s Day present from three years ago. If nothing else's left with me, I'd still have my lovely daughter.

I take a deep breath. This is it.
My phone beeps again.

Okay Stace, 10 minutes to go!

I watch as the 5 year old throws her cereal bowl onto the counter.

I turn my gaze over to Jinnie, my sister; who is nursing her second cup of coffee. She sits with her legs crossed, watching it all. Dressed in her yoga pants that mold perfectly to her thin, five-foot-seven-inch body and a loose sweater that falls off one shoulder.

How do you remember this stuff?

She asks.

It’s magic. Once you become a parent, you’ll get a brain.

I tell her with a smirk. Instantly regretting my choice of words.

She lowers her gaze, her eyes flashing with emotions just to be replaced with blankness in the blink of an eye.

Then what happened to Jace?

She smiles back while taking a sip.

Okay, I take that back. Once you become a mother-figure , you get a brain. I mean, I don’t think all men are dicks. Look at Dad.

I tell her while I put the milk back in the fridge and pick up the cereal box, putting it back into the cupboard.

My phone alarm sounds again.

Two minutes, Stace!

I have my phone set to different times so I never run late. It’s another thing I got when I became a mom.
I look over at Jinnie, who is now reading the newspaper.

Aren’t you going to be late?

I ask her while I grab the lunch box and walk to the door with the Stacey.

She folds the paper in half.

Nope, I have a client at ten-thirty. We are doing yoga in the park today. Become one with the earth and all that.

She does the Namaste hands, while I walk out with the Stace to go to the bus stop.

I hold her hand while we walk to the bus stop, her brown hair done in a side ponytail with a huge flower headband.

Don’t forget, Momma Jin will be there when you get off the bus this afternoon, because Mommy has the new job.

She looks up and smiles at me, one tooth missing.