Chapter 30

Unedited

Sang's P.O.V.

The next morning, everything hurts, just like yesterday. I'm so stiff and sore, I'm not sure how I'm going to get out of bed today.

      And then there's this lingering feeling of sadness, like anything will set me off.

I attempt to stretch and nearly jump out of my skin when I see Corey standing in the doorway.

"Sorry," he gives me a small smile, "I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to check in on you."
He slowly walks to the bed and sits on the edge, "How are you feeling?"

      "Like I was tied up in the shower for several hours and then had a bad fall," I try to joke.

He frowns, "That's not funny, Sang." He sounds upset by my bad attempt at making joke.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

      I know I worried them last night and the last thing I want to do is upset them anymore.

I move so I'm no longer under the covers and now sitting right next to Corey. I wince as I move, which he doesn't miss, making his frown deepen.

     "I hate that this is happening to you," he says quietly.

      "You shouldn't. I can't exactly complain, I'm the one who's choosing to stay."

     "Doesn't mean I like it," he mumbles.

       Before I can respond, he yawns and rubs his face.

      "Didn't get enough sleep?," I ask.

        He gives me an embarrassed look. "No, none of us did."

        "How come?," I frown.

"We were all worried about you, we wanted to make sure you were okay. We'd all check in..." he trails off before clarifying, "Not in a creepy way or anything. We weren't watching you or anything- okay maybe Raven did a little bit-," he's cut off by me letting out a short laugh.

He gives me a strange look as I say, "I don't know what I did to deserve you guys. You do too much for me."

He grabs my hand and gives it a gentle squeeze, "We feel the same about you. And we haven't done nearly enough yet."

      I lay my head on his shoulder and he asks, "Seriously, how are you feeling right now?"

       I sigh, "I'm exhausted. So much has happened recently with school and my family. I wish I could stop time and just enjoy these moments a little bit more."

      "Maybe we could do something this weekend, then. No school, no Academy, and no family problems. What do you think?"

    "I think that sounds great. What would we do?," I ask.

      "We could do anything. Charleston's big and there's so much you haven't seen. I'll have to talk to the others and see what they'd like to do, but I'm positive they'll be on board."

      I have a sudden realization. I take my head off Corey's shoulder and look at the time to see that I overslept. It's well into first period right now.

I look at him worriedly. "Corey, I'm so late. If the school calls my stepmother..."

He grins proudly, "Already taken care of. We figured you were going to sleep in. We weren't even sure you would be feeling well enough to go today. Plus, we need to take you to get your stitches out today."