Chapter 1- Rewritten

Sang's P.O.V.

I sigh as I unpack the bag I had just finished packing. I had desperately wanted to leave the house, even just for the night. I still do, but my fear is keeping me from even trying.

Lord knows what punishment my mom would come up with if she caught me, especially since I don't know this house very well yet. I also hate the idea of going out while the storm rages on.

       My family had just moved to Charleston, South Carolina today. The move had come with no explanation, but I knew better than to question it. I can't say I was too upset about the love, since I wasn't so attached to our last house.

        However, both my sister and I had received news that I feel conflicted about. My dad has decided that it's time for us to go to an actual school, instead of being homeschooled like we have been for most of our lives. Mom has always told Marie and I about the awful things that happen out in the real world, so she wasn't happy at all about the decision.

Part of me is very excited to get away for several hours a day. However, the other part of me is terrified because I have no idea what to expect.

        Will I make any friends? Will the classes be easy?

       I throw myself onto the bed and groan at how stiff my body is. I had been the one to unpack everything today. Dad left as soon as we got here while Marie and mom had me unpack everything.

        My room isn't anything special. I have a wood bookcase, a stereo, some clothes, a trunk, and my bed. The room also has a space where I can crawl in and go undetected if I need to. I hid it behind the bookcase so I'll be the only one to know about it.

I curl up in a ball underneath my covers. Tomorrow, I will explore the house and maybe a little bit of Charleston as well. Maybe, once I know more about the area, I could actually escape the house every now and then. After a while of dreaming about a life outside this house, I'm able to fall asleep.

I wake up very early the next morning. I decide to clean the house quietly so mom doesn't have anything to yell at me for tomorrow. There's only a few dishes and a few places I have to sweep. Then, I make breakfast for everyone, fighting to not eat any myself.

       For whatever reason, Mom would be angry. I am able to sneak a packet of crackers and water bottle back up to my room, before quickly hiding them.

      I go back downstairs to finish breakfast and I finally hear movement upstairs. Mom eventually comes down. She rolls her eyes when she sees me fixing her plate. When I hold it out for her, she snatches it out of my hand and sits down to eat.

     I approach the table to give her her medicine and she still says nothing. That's better than screaming though, so I'll take it. I walk back to my room and play my music softly. I lay there for a while, just daydreaming.

     Suddenly, my door swings open and all I hear is screaming, "I have been fucking calling you, you bitch."

Tears fill my eyes and I begin shaking, "I- I'm sorry, I didn't hear you-," I'm interrupted by her screaming again.

"You're such a lying whore. You were selling your body for men to use again, weren't you?"

"No, I wasn't," I desperately say, "I was here. I wouldn't have had the time to do anything." Reasoning won't work with her, I know. But I want to try anything to stop what is going to happen next.

"Why must you always lie to me? You know what? I'll show you what happens to girls who lie," she spits at me and retreats from the room. Tears stream down my face as I try to accept what's going to happen.