|| Chapter 42 || Wounded

Edited 05.11.23

Zelda's heart beats rapidly against her ribs.

Link's struggling. She's tried convincing him to just leave her behind - to save himself since at this point, she's only dragging him down with her own inability to fight and lack of endurance to keep running. Being the young, fit knight that he is, Link could've easily made it to the village on his own, yet he was too stubborn to take the opportunity. Even if he wanted to take it now, Zelda isn't sure that he could.

One look at the hero and she knows: there's no way he can carry on for much longer. His tunic is torn and stained with his own blood, his body littered with scraps, cuts, and burns - he can't even take a single step without his legs wobbling underneath him. The Master Sword isn't in much better condition. It's chipped and losing its edge. Will it break? Can it break? Zelda doesn't want to find out.

When the Princess's attention isn't focused on her knight, it's set off in the direction of the mountains despite not actually being able to see them through the rain and smoke. It's killing her to know that Kakariko rests just outside their reach and with it, the help they so desperately need.

Guardians circle the field in search of anything that dares move. They were built to be allies, yet allies in war. They can move quickly over the worst of terrains, they're crystal eyes having no difficulty seeing through the ash, so it wasn't a real surprise when they eventually caught up, cutting Zelda and Link off from reaching their final destination. Whenever Link managed to defeat one, another instantly took its place; there's no end to their attacks.

"Link! You really must go! You won't - You can't fight them all off!" Zelda begs once again, trying to think of anything that would get the headstrong boy to realize that his efforts are useless, "(Y-Y/n)! Y-You must go find (Y/n)! You have to make sure she's safe, too! Please!"

Link shakes her off, taking on yet another guardian that comes their way while leaving Zelda to pray to the Goddesses that he doesn't get himself killed.

Perhaps if it wasn't for their own chaotic situation, she'd have the time to worry about your whereabouts. Your route was much shorter than theirs. Yes, the mountains are tortious to cross, yet you're a talented and clever sorceress. If your strength is to be believed, you should've made it to Kakariko by now. Did you run into trouble on the way? Did you underestimate your own fatigue, unable to use your magic as much as you had originally predicted? Where are you and what's taking you so long?

~ ~ ~

You growl as you swing your sword, crashing it against that of a Yiga blademaster who gives a wicked laugh at your attempt. With your patients wearing thin, you draw your sword back and swing at the traitor again, this time with the blade illuminated in red.

You attack swiftly, the blademaster dodging the first two movements, however you manage to slash his chest on the third, causing him to shout in pain. He stumbles backwards, holding the mark as it glows a fainter red color and burns through his skin. He sends one more glare your way, seemingly debating his chances, although he ultimately makes the smart choice to surrender by disappearing.

Before you can acknowledge your victory, you hiss as an arrow suddenly cuts your side. Afterwards, you only have enough time to turn around, holding your sword up to block the next arrow which was aimed at your head. An archer and footsoldier stand waiting a few yards away, happy to have gained your attention. The latter was just about to run at you full speed, but his plans change when his friend collapses lifelessly on the ground beside him. The footsoldier turns and is unable to react in time before being killed by a kunai himself.