|| Chapter 26 || Past Gift

Edited 03.23.23

The courtyard is busy, however this shouldn't be surprising. Lately, it's been treated as more of an open-air lab than anything else. Tables are used as makeshift desks, covered entirely with research papers and ancient materials to keep the wind from stealing them. A few decayed guardians rest motionlessly in the sun, scientists crowded around them while arguing over theories as usual.

Awkwardly, Link hovers nearby, shifting on his feet and playing with the small box held in his hands as the scientists continue to pay him no mind. He doesn't think they're purposefully ignoring him per say, just that they're reeeally absorbed in their 'little debate'.

Finally, after about six minutes of him standing there in quiet observation, one of the scientists takes a third of her attention away from the others to acknowledge him, "Somethin' you need, Sir Link?"

"Princess Zelda wishes for an update on the guardian research and I was also looking f-"

The scientist cuts him off suddenly by pointing over her shoulder with a distracted nod, "- We're pretty busy right now, but the siblings can answer any questions you have."

Link nods, thanking her (not that she was listening any longer) before hurrying over to where she had pointed towards the opposite side of the courtyard. There, a guardian stands tall and unlike its brethren, it's fully active. It twists its head on command and shoots a beam of light, successfully destroying a bunch of crates which had been set up alongside the stone wall and lazily painted to look like targets.

"WOO-HOO!" You shout, fist-pumping the air while leaping up from where you had been hiding behind two turned over tables. A young boy peers over the tables from your side, pushing his pair of goggles to the top of his head to catch a peak of his own at the burning crate remains.

"You're just playing around at this point," he points out, although it hardly comes across as 'scolding' considering the amused smile tugging at his lips.

"I'll have you know that this is a very important experiment done entirely for research purposes. Our aiming skills must be as sharp and accurate as a needle by the time Calamity Ganon comes around or else this whole plan could fall apart," you claim, holding an innocent hand over your heart before winking at your brother slyly, "...However, I will admit that being destructive is quite fun."

"Calamity Ganon and crates beware of the mighty and merciless (Y/n)," he chuckles with a playful roll of his eyes. His joy glows brighter when he spots a certain blond knight approaching you both, "Link!"

While your brother hurries to meet him halfway, you patiently stay put, pushing your goggles back with a bright smile of your own. An unexpected visit from a fellow champion is always a welcomed surprise especially if it happens to be Link whom, despite all expectations, you've actually become pretty close to in recent months.

"Well, well. What gives us the pleasure of seeing you out in the field today, Sir Hero? Come to get a taste of our talent in controlling an awesome guardian army?" You smirk with a hand on your hip.

"The Princess asked for me to check in with the recent guardian research," Link explains, ruffling Cody's hair which causes the younger boy to laugh before he faces you with a warm smile. It feels like it's been awhile since he's worn one, although he does feel significantly more comfortable around the two of you than anyone else at the castle.

"Really? But she had just been down yesterday," you raise an eyebrow, yet shrug nevertheless, "Well, luckily for her, we actually did get a few new reports on more guardians being found: three in Akkala and five in the desert. Tomorrow, we'll be setting out to try and hopefully activate them."