|| Chapter 8 || Someone to Remember

Edited 03.03.23

Zora's Domain is missing its usual sparkle thanks to heavy rain clouds blocking out the sun. Even the Zoras themselves look miserable, wandering around wearing solemn expressions making it clear that many worries plague their minds.

The second he spots two familiar travelers walking across the bridge, Sidon makes sure to run up and greet you both with his famously bright smile, "You've made it just as I knew you would! Welcome to Zora's Domain, my friends! I've already told father about you and he agrees it'll be best if he can meet you himself. This way!"

You leave Link's side in a hurry to stand next to Sidon, motioning him to lean closer so that you may whisper something to him. While Link can't hear any of this conversation himself, he notices that you suddenly seem worried and whatever you say, it causes the Zora Prince to stop in his tracks, looking at you in surprise.

You wave a hand, speaking in a rush to which Sidon nods. It's then that you look more at peace, sighing before sending Link a gentle smile that he returns almost instinctively. After that, Sidon continues escorting you both to the King while you return to Link's side, the calm tug remaining on your lips.

"What was that about?" He can't help asking you in a whisper, however you merely shrug, putting a finger to your lips as a silent way of saying they're sealed. Link rolls his eyes at this, saying nothing else.

Sidon asks the two of you to wait outside, entering the throne room by himself for what feels like a long time before returning to invite you inside as well. There, King Dorephan sits proudly, although upon closer inspection, he appears just as stressed as his people are. Nevertheless, he welcomes you warmly.

Link copies your lead, bowing respectfully when you do, "Thank you for having us here, Your Highness. Sidon has explained that Zora's Domain is having a problem with Divine Beast Vah Ruta and that you could use our help?"

"It's true that we need whatever aid we can receive. Ruta has been peaceful for many years. Only recently has she started this storm. As I'm sure you've noticed already, the water level is getting dangerously high. If this weather persists, there's no telling how much longer we'll have before the river and reservoir overflow, flooding our home and possibly even Hyrule itself," Dorephan explains, frowning at his own words, "We can't stop Ruta on our own. I'm afraid no one here possesses the exact strength or knowledge needed to do so, but perhaps if you're willing to help us, you'll have better luck in finding a solution."

"W-What?!" A Zora elder had been standing at the King's side quietly, although 'quietly' no longer. He lets out a screech when hearing his leader's words, snapping his neck towards him with shocked eyes, "You can't possibly be asking for the help of their kind, King Dorephan! Why, to ask for the help of a Hylian and -"

"- Silence, Muzu," The King orders sternly of the elder, glancing at him in the corner of his eyes.

"This rainfall could prove to be deadly if not taken care of soon! We cannot afford to be stubborn any longer!" Sidon defensively cuts in, "Link and (Y/n) are here because I invited them; they're my guests and I have no doubt in my mind that they're trustworthy!"

"Trustworthy?! As far as I'm concerned, no one of their races can ever be considered 'trustworthy' again! Not after everything they've done -!" The elder complains, narrowing his eyes into a glare at you both, however a keen eye would notice his particular interest towards you.

"- ENOUGH I SAID!" The King shouts, silencing Muzu at last.

Link bows his head, not understanding why the Zora elder's so upset. Is it...because he failed at his task a hundred years ago? He didn't save Hyrule like everyone apparently thought he would?