|| Chapter 57 || The Scourge of Hyrule

Edited 06.15.23

The earth shakes under the force of Beast Ganon's hooves which causes great distress for Epona who squeals in disapproval over this entire situation she has been dragged into. She only calms down when Link pets her side reassuringly, although he wishes he had someone to do the same for him. Moving his eyes upwards to the giant monster they run directly towards, he can feel his own heart slamming against his chest.

He's afraid but refuses to slow his charge even as he begins to feel the heat of the flames around him. They grow in height across the field, expanding from where their source rages. The sounds of whirling gears and dimmed beeps of defeated guardians sends chills down his spine as he rides past, dodging them and the broken parts left in their trails.

It's in moments of fear and uncertainty like this that his thoughts run back to you. He wonders what you're doing now because he's willingly to bet you're too stubborn to rest like you should be, probably due to your worry for him. Instead, you might be making your way down the ruins of Hyrule Castle, Cody leaning against you as the two of you try to reach the outskirts of the field below despite knowing that neither of you will be of any help given the lack of magic you currently wield. You might even be stealing glances at the battle beyond, sending all your hope and prayers with Link. That thought is enough to lead him forward, swallowing his fears while continuing to fight, after all, the faster he does this, the sooner Hyrule will be saved and the sooner he can take a breath of relief while engulfed by the comfort of your warm arms.

Link's eyes go wide when the beast turns its head, letting out an ear-piercing roar that sends a blaze of fire his way. Jerking back on the reins, he redirects Epona to run in another direction, swerving off course and only barely avoiding the destruction that follows from Beast Ganon's mouth. Looking back over his shoulder, Link grimaces at the sight of the once long grass having been burned down to charcoaled dirt. One hit from a blaze like that will be an instant game over.

"Link, that crimson energy covering Ganon's body is malice, just as you've encountered in the Divine Beasts and with Cody. Even guardian attacks can do very little against it, however I may be able to hold some of it back enough to provide you a small window. Use the light arrow I bestowed upon you to hit any opening you see," Zelda's gentle yet clearly worn voice echoes in his head again. If her magic works similarly to your own, then he's sure she doesn't have much left after a hundred years of keeping both Cody and Ganon imprisoned in Hyrule Castle.

If there's one good thing about Beast Ganon's massive form, it's his inability to move quickly. When enemies are in far range, he can send balls of fire hurling towards them, but when remaining anywhere within ten yards of him, he's at a disadvantage with such an attack, unable to turn his head fast enough to line up the target. Link quickly notices this when racing past and seeing the way the beast must take slow steps in order to turn around even partly.

Taking this moment as his chance, Link spots a golden glow on the creature's shoulder where the malice armor is pulled back, revealing dark fur underneath. Tugging on the bow string with his single arrow, he sends it off only once he's sure he has an open target and thankfully, the arrow hits dead on. Upon impact, it sends a glow throughout the opening that looks like electricity and, to Link's slight surprise, the bow string glows as well before another arrow appears in the exact place as the last. He should've known it would be magically just like its matching bow.

He copies this attack another two times along Ganon's side wherever Zelda creates windows for his arrow. With Epona's brisk pace, the two manage to circle around faster than the beast can turn, however as Link soon realizes, fiery breath and crushing hooves aren't the only dangers to be wary of during this battle.