Marius x Reader: Can I Trust You?

You had grown up on the streets. No family to call your own, and each day you woke up not knowing where your next meal would come from or where you would sleep. All you knew is that people like you deserved more than scraps from the upper class. You spent your day as you always did, stealing what you needed and hiding from officers.

But more often than not, your stolen booty went to the wide-eyed children too frightened to take food for themselves. You had no children of your own, but had already gained the reputation of surrogate mother for many of the street urchins. You knew their routines, and while you couldn't look after all of them every day, you made sure to rotate your time between children so they all had a full tummy at least once a week.

You tried to get by honestly; you really did. But your social class put you at a disadvantage: no one wanted a beggar working for them. So you hung out behind pubs, inns and cafes, picking through the discarded to food to find something edible for the little ones under your care. You were busy stuffing stale rolls into your skirts when the door opened. You looked up, ready to bolt at the first sight of trouble. The man that came through the door looked at your curiously. You remained crouched, waiting to see what his move would be.

"Would you like to come in?" Was the last thing you expected to hear. You blinked, certain you had misheard him. "I can get you a hot meal instead of looking through the trash.

"Thank you," you answered cautiously. "But this isn't just for me."

"It's not?" He looked at the one roll in your hand.

"They're for children. They can't look after themselves, so I help."

"Well, they're welcome too." He answered simply. Were you dreaming? You were used to fleeing after discovery.

"What's the catch?" You demanded. He looked at you.

"Catch?" He echoed.

"It's been my experience people don't do things for others for no reason. What's in it for you?" A disgusting thought occurred to you. "If this is a ploy to get under my skirts, I'm sorry to say your efforts are futile." You snarled. He looked appalled.

"Of course not!" He held his hands up in defense. "I promise you. This is truly no strings attached. Please," He implored. "Let me show you and those children there are still some good people left." You gave him another once over. He seemed sincere, but you had been misled before. Still, if there was a chance for a hot meal for you and the children you looked after, you had to take it.

But that didn't mean you were going to be stupid.

"I sit between you and the kids." You said at last. "And we sit closest to the door."

"Of course." He said immediately. You looked at him for another moment.

"I'll be right back." You turned and made your way to a dark alley. Six year old Lynette was watching you with wide eyes, her baby brother Beau, just over 2, hefted on her hip. You took Beau from her and crouched in front of here. "A man I met offered to give us a meal, Lynette." You explained softly. Her eyes managed to get even wider. "Do you want to come with me?"

"You said never to trust anyone." You nodded.

"I did say that. And it's still true when I'm not with you. But I think he's okay, and if I not, I promise I can get you and Beau out of there. Alright?" She nodded, the opportunity for a warm meal to good to pass up. Standing up, you adjusted Beau on your hip, and Lenore took your free hand. Beau's arms were clinging to your neck, and he talked about anything and everything as your approached the café. When the children saw the man waiting for you, they became nervous. Beau stopped talking and hid his face in your neck, and Lynette immediately hid behind your skirts. The man crouched down.

"You don't have to be afraid," He said. Lenore shuffled against your skirts, but she still didn't look at the stranger. "My name is Marius. What's yours?"

"Lynette," A tiny muffled voice replied.

"That's a very pretty name, Lynette. Do you know what it means?" Marius asked. Lynette poked her head out from behind you and shook her head. "It means 'pretty one' and I can see that it's a very fitting name." Lynette giggled softly. "Would you like to come in and eat?" She looked at you. You nodded. Lynette grinned.

"Okay!" She darted out from behind you and was practically vibrating with excitement. For all your efforts in teaching the children to be cautious, she was still a child, and it was hard for her to believe people were bad. He smiled at her as he stood up and opened the back door to the café.

"Mademoiselle," He held the door open. Lynette had no hesitation going through the door, but as you passed Marius, you looked at him.

"Don't make me regret this."

...

True to his word, Marius found a table right next to the back door. He made sure you were seated, Lynette in one chair and you in the other with Beau in your lap. Marius left, and came back a few moments later with two bowls of stew. He returned after a second trip with two more, setting them down in front of you. Lynette wasted no time digging into her meal, eating with a desperation that broke your heart. You carefully helped Beau eat his food, cutting pieces into smaller chunks and blowing on them before offering the food to the little boy. He also took each piece eagerly, stuffing his little face until he looked like a chipmunk. You ate at a slower pace. The children were done their food far sooner than you, and, expecting this, you gave them your meal to share. When they were finished that, you offered the rolls you had found. They ate those too, and for the first time in who knows how long had full bellies. Beau snuggled into your neck with a contented yawn, prompting Lynette to stand up. "We should be going home." She said as she took Beau from you. "See you tomorrow, Y/N!" Lynette said, and left. You waved. You turned back and saw Marius looking at you.

"They don't stay with you?"

"During the day, their father works so I keep them with me. Their mom died of the plague. I look after other children too, but not everyday because they're older. Lynette and Beau are the youngest." You had no clue why you were telling him this.

"Who do you have?"

"No one." You shrugged. He looked shocked.

"Where do you sleep?"

"Wherever's dry and out of the way."

"And food?"

"If it weren't for you, those rolls would've been the most food we've had in weeks." He nodded, deep in thought.

"Come live with me."

"Did you not hear me before? I'm not that kind of girl. At least, not yet." You added in a small voice.

"I would never ask that of you," He reached across the table and took your hands. "But I have an apartment nearby. It isn't much, but there's enough room for another person to live there. Please." He implored you. "Let me help you."

"Why?" Marius blinked at your response.

"Why?" He echoed.

"Why are you trying to help me? You don't even know me."

"No one deserves the life you have. I promise you have nothing to fear from me." You couldn't quite put your finger on it, but something about Marius made you trust him.

"Okay." Marius grinned.

"Follow me, I'll show you where the building is." He stood up and offered his hand. After hesitating for a moment, you took it. You both exited the building and began making your way through the winding streets of Paris. A breeze brushed over you, causing you to shiver slightly. Somehow, Marius noticed and without a word shrugged out of his coat, draping it over your threadbare shoulders. You looked up at him curiously. He gave you a small smile and looked ahead as you both walked. As you studied his profile a thought occurred to you.

Maybe the world wasn't all bad.