Marius x Eponine: So Close

"No!" Eponine gasped as she wrenched the soldier's gun away from Marius and to her. A shot rang out, and with a gasp, Eponine collapsed. As Enjolras carefully guided Marius down from the barricade, he wasn't paying attention to his friends yelling at him for being reckless. His focus was on the girl huddled in a ball on the round.

"Eponine?" Marius asked uncertainly, as if he were afraid it were really her.

"Why did you do that?" He asked as he kneeled down and gathered Eponine into his arms.

"It's okay," Eponine didn't answer his question. "It's okay, Marius.

"No it isn't!" Marius shouted. "Why on earth would you do that?"

"For you," Eponine coughed out, clutching at the wound in her chest. She laughed weakly. "Don't you see?" She murmured. "It's always been for you."

Marius' heart stopped.

How could he have been so blind? He became obsessed with a girl he'd only seen once, and in doing so he couldn't see what was right in front of him. He looked down at the girl in his arms, and his heart dropped to his toes when he realized her eyes were fluttering closed, and her breathing was going shallow.

"No, no, no, no, no. Stay with me, Pony!"

"Marius," She gasped. "I—I have to tell you something."

"What? What is it? I'm right here Pony!" She smiled at the nickname.

"Marius," Her voice was little more than a whisper. "I—I love you, Marius."

Tears stung Marius' eyes, and he held her tighter.

"I love you too, Pony," He murmured as his lips brushed against her ear. 'I love you so, so much, Pony, and you're going to be fine, okay?" If he wasn't holding her so tightly, he wouldn't have known she was still breathing.

"Marius?" She breathed.

"Hm?" He brushed his nose against hers as he looked into her eyes.

"Don't," She leaned of and brushed her lips against his. "Don't forget me, okay?"

And then she went limp.

"Eponine?" Marius asked, dread filling every cell in his body. He shook her lightly. "Eponine?" He was more frantic now as the realization came crashing down. "No," He murmured as he pulled her as close as he could, rocking her back and forth as tears dripped down his face. He ignored the hustle and bustle around him as he rocked her, whispering words of love into hair.

It took an hour to convince Marius to let her go.