Brother!Marius x Sister!Reader: Big Girl Boots

"No."

"But Mari—"

"I said no, Y/N!" You wanted to scream in frustration.

"Why not, Marius?! I want to fight too!" Your brother ran a hand through his hair in agitation.

"It's too dangerous, Y/N." Marius tried to reason with you.

"I don't care! Sometimes blood needs to be shed in order to wash away past mistakes."

"But not your blood!" Marius argued. "Someone else can make that sacrifice."

"If someone dies because I'm not there to help, then I will never forgive you." You said lowly. You and Marius stared at each other for a few moments. Then Marius crossed his arms.

"You are not coming, Y/N. That is final." Before you could stop him, your brother strode out the front door, closing it behind him. You were left in a shocked silence.

Then you sprung into action. You ran to Marius's room, stealing some of his clothes. You threw on some old trousers from the back of his closet, and layered a shirt and jacket on top of that. Then you found an old hat, shoving it on top of your head and pulling the brim down. Then, taking care not to be spotted by your grandfather or servants, snuck out the front door. You hunched your shoulders against the howling wind, and jogged to the ABC café. Taking a back route, you managed to sneak into the building unseen. Anyone who would recognize you was resting out on the barricade, and no sooner than you had arrived soldiers were approaching the barricade. Your heart leapt into your throat. You grabbed one of the spare bayonets that were placed along the wall. You ran out the front door just as the first shot was fired. You reflexively ducked at the noise.

Then you pulled up your big girl boots, and plunged into the fray. You scrambled up a vacant section of the barrier, lashing out and jabbing at soldiers that were getting too close to the top. Revolutionaries flanked you on either side. Yes, some of them fell. But there were more to take their place, instilling in you the hope that this dream of freedom would be realized, and their sacrifices wouldn't be in vain. A fellow fighter next to you began to topple precariously as the chair he was standing on began to loosen from the structure. You turned just in time to grab the front of his shirt, hauling him back onto the barricade. You turned to continue the fight, but were met by a soldiers fist.

You cried out as you toppled back, landing painfully on your back as the cap fell off your head.

"Y/N?" Oh crap.

Your brother kneeled down next to you and helped you sit up. "What are you doing here?"

"Come on, Marius." You wheezed. "Did you really think I was going to sit at home?" He laughed shakily, before picking you up and carrying you into the café where the other wounded were being kept. Joly was running around, patching people up as best he could.

"Joly!" Marius barked, setting you down onto a chair. "I need help!"

"Kinda busy!" Joly didn't even look up from his haphazard stitches.

"I don't care!"

"Marius, please," You tried to reason. "There are worse people off than me."

"Still don't care," He snapped, though he was less angry at you.

"Well I do!" You finally shouted. "There are worse people off than me, so you're going to leave Joly alone, let him do his job, and I'm going to sit here and be grateful that I'm not worse off like those poor people. Understand?"

Marius nodded, dumbfounded. You nodded, satisfied. "Look Marius. You're my brother, and I love you. But we're not children anymore, and you aren't always going to be available to protect me! I can handle myself, and I want you to treat me as such!" Marius sighed.

"I know you can handle yourself." He began. "But you're still my little sister. So I'll try to take it down a notch for you, but I'm always going to look after you. Got it?"

You nodded with a tired smile, opening your arms. "Come here you drama queen." Marius laughed and obliged, hugging you lightly. A loud explosion caught both of you by surprise.

"You're gonna be okay in here?"

"Marius!"

"Okay, okay!" He held his hands up in surrender. "I'm going!" With an affectionate ruffle of your hair, Marius vanished back into the battle.