Modern!Grantaire x Reader: Of Sweatpants and Snuggles

"You ready to go, Y/N?" You heard from down the stairs.

"Almost!" You put a necklace on and ran down the stairs to where Grantaire was waiting with a large basket.

"She finally emerges!" He cackled. You punched him in the shoulder as you grabbed your keys.

"Shut up," He held up his hands in surrender with a grin, before opening the door and waving you through. He locked up behind you and followed you out to the car. You slid into the passenger's side as he put the basket in the back and got behind the wheel. He pulled away from the curb as you fiddled with the radio.

"Ugh that song sucks," Grantaire whined. You stuck your tongue out. He reached to change the channel, but you smacked his hand. He yelped.

"Distracted driving!" You shouted an he laughed.

"Fine, you win. But I get to pick on the ride home!"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't wanna drive."

"Really?"

"Really." He rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless. You cranked the volume in victory as Grantaire pulled over next to the park. He pulled the keys out and the music cut off. You glared at him, but he shrugged innocently and got out. He grabbed the basket in one hand and you slipped your hand into his other. You walked along the park trail, looking for the perfect spot to set up. "What about over there?" You both left the trail and walked towards a small pond. It was perfect. The sun was out, there was a family of ducks on the pond, and the wind was blowing gently. You took the blanket out of the basket and laid it out on the grass. As you unfolded it, Grantaire began to unpack the picnic basket, laying out a plate of sandwiched, fruit, and other various snacks. You pulled off all the Seran wrap, balled it up, and tossed it at Grantaire's head. He let out a shout as it nailed him in the forehead, and he fell back in surprise. You burst out laughing as he rubbed his forehead and glared at you as you continued to laugh. You were laughing so hard you didn't see the strawberry flying towards you until it was too late. It hit you in the shoulder and you yelped. You rubbed your shoulder and glared at him. He was laying back on the blanket, laughing as hard as he could. You scoffed and yanked his hat off his head, hitting him with it as he tried to roll away. Eventually you relented and he sat up. Still laughing, you handed him his hat, which he slipped on over his head. You handed him a sandwich. "Truce?" He took it after a few moments.

"Sure." He took a bit and you reached for a sandwich of your own. You were about to take a bite, but then, out of nowhere, rain began to fall.
Hard. You let out a shriek of surprise as you as Grantaire cursed and scrambled to pack up. You threw food back in the basket as Grantaire grabbed the blanket and shoved it under his arm. You helped him up, and you both raced back to the car. You tossed the basket in the back and got into the passenger's side, slamming the door shut behind you. Grantaire got in a moment later. You both looked at each other, breathing heavily, before bursting into laughter.

"So that didn't go according to plan," You laughed as you wrung out your hair. Grantaire turned the car on and began to drive home. On the way, you looked out the window. "Hey, stop here!" You shouted, startling Grantaire. He complied, and you hopped out. "I'll be right back." You said, before running inside. You emerged a few minutes later, your arms laden with bags of Chinese food. You put them in the back and got back in.

"You're a genius," He said. You shrugged.

"All in a days work."

...

When you got home, you raced into the building and into your warm, dry apartment. You threw out the food and threw the blanket in the laundry while Grantaire changed into dry clothes. He emerged a few moments later in a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. You went and changed into the same outfit. When you came out, Grantaire had the takeout spread out, and was sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket. He held an arm out and you approached. You grabbed a plate and loaded it with food before nestling yourself against his side.

He wrapped the blanket around you and held you with one arm while the other flipped through the TV channels. After settling on a random soap opera, he grabbed a plate and loaded it too. You leaned your head on his shoulder, and he leaned his on top of yours. You ate in silence for a few moments. When you were both done, you stood up.

"I can take your plate." You held your hand out. He didn't hand you his plate. Instead, he grabbed yours and tugged your back down. You landed in his lap and he wrapped the blanket around the two of you, locking his arms around your body.

"You warm now?" You nodded and lay your head on his shoulder, pressing your forehead into his neck. You felt him smile against your hair as he pressed a kiss to your temple.

"Very."