Enjolras x Reader: Incredible

It was all supposed to go according to plan. You were to hide by an open window, listen in on the officer's conversations, and report back. But you couldn't have expected one of the officers to be running late, and spot you lurking outside.

Which is how you found yourself in your current situation: Curled up against the wall as you tried in vain to fight off three soldiers. You were bruised and bleeding, and could feel your eye swelling up. With one well aimed jab to the abdomen, one of the soldiers went down, giving you your window. With one last burst of adrenaline, you shot through the opening, snatching a piece of paper dropped by one of the officers off the ground. Their angered shouts only pushed you to run faster, and before long they faded into the night. Gasping for breath, you stumbled along in the dark on your way back to the café, taking a longer route to ensure no one was following you. You felt yourself getting woozier by the minute, and when the familiar lights of the café greeted you, you had to force yourself to get to the front landing. You managed to take two steps inside, before promptly collapsing amid the gasps of your friends.

...

When you woke, you were lying on a hard surface, and your outer skirts were gone. You sat up quickly, but hissed in pain when aches lanced through your abdomen. You looked down and saw remnants of your skirt utilized as crude bandages. You gingerly pushed yourself up a little farther, fighting the pain in your torso. In the brighter lights, you saw bruises up and down your arms, and when you brought your hand to your head, it came away sticky. As you looked around, everything came flooding back. Your mission, the attack, the café... You finally recognized the room you were in to be the café's storage room, and the hard surface to be a table. You swung your legs over the side, and tried to stand up. You held onto the table for support as you swayed unsteadily. You took a few steps, still holding onto the table. Just as you reached the doorknob, the door swung open towards you. Enjolras barreled into the room, and you fell back in surprise. You scrambled to grasp onto the table, but it wasn't enough. You fell to the ground, albeit a little slower.

"Y/N!" Enjolras immediately knelt and helped you up, and helped you back up onto the table. "What are you doing up? You should be resting!" He laid you back down, checking your bandages and asking you question after question.

"Yes, the bloody hair is a great indicator." He muttered.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" You batted his hand away as he moved to check your forehead.

"Of course, the dried blood really drives it home." Enjolras muttered. "Wait here." He began to walk away, before turning around. "Don't. Move." You nodded. Enjolras was acting... weird. Especially since he hadn't asked about your mission. That was usually the first and only thing to be discussed post-mission. He came back with a bowl of water and a rag. He helped you sit up, and began to dab away at the wound on your head, a look of intense concentration on his face.

"You're not going to ask?" You broke the silence.

"Ask about what?" He snapped and dabbed a little rougher, and you hissed in pain, wincing. "Sorry." He said a little more gently.

"About the mission."

"I don't care about that." He told you. You raised an eyebrow, fixing him with a look. He sighed. "Okay, fine. I care, but it's not important right now."

"Did something happen?" You asked.

"What do you mean 'did something happen'?" He snapped. "You got hurt! I never should have sent you there."

"Are you questioning my ability to do my job?" You demanded. He sighed and put the bowl down, the water inside now a pale pink.

"No, that's not what I meant," He tried to placate you.

"Then what did you mean? Are you not asking me about what happened because you're assuming I failed?" You ripped the paper out of your corset. You hadn't had a chance to open it, so you were hoping he wouldn't call your bluff. You held it out to him. He took it from you, but instead of opening it, he stuffed it in his pocket angrily.

"I'm not asking about it because you're more important!" Enjolras shouted at you. "You collapsed right in front of us. Y/N, I thought you were dead!" He grasped your shoulders. "No amount of information is worth you getting hurt."

You were speechless.

"I'm fine," You said at last. "Yes, I got hurt, but I pulled through, and whatever's on that paper has to be better than nothing." He sighed. "Just look at it." Enjolras reluctantly pulled out the paper, and unfolded it. His eyes scanned the contents, his eyes bulging.

"This is a list of our meetings." Your eyes widened. "Y/N, you may have just saved our lives." He folded the paper and put it away.

"Still wish you hadn't sent me?" Enjolras was silent.

"I wish you hadn't been alone. I wish I took the possibility of retaliation into account. I wish I was there to protect you."

"Don't be silly. You're the leader of this whole organization. You're too important to risk capture."

"You're important too, Y/N."

"I'm just a spy, Enjolras. If anything happens to me, there are a dozen to take my place."

"No there isn't!" Enjolras said firmly. "There's only one you. There will only ever be one you. And nothing is going to happen to you, Y/N. I won't let it." Throughout his outburst, Enjolras continued to move closer, and he ended with his hands cupping your face.

"You can't control everything." You whispered.

"I can try." You smiled.

"Spoken like a true revolutionary." He smiled softly, his eyes flicking to your lips. He licked his lips nervously, looking back to you for permission. You leaned in, gently brushing your lips over his. He sighed, moving closer and wrapping his arms around your body. He held you gently, like you were made of glass. When you finally pulled apart, you refused to move more than a couple breaths away. Enjolras' eyes were still closed, and only opened when you nudged your nose against his. He opened his eyes, watching you.

"You're incredible." You shook your head with a smile.

"We're incredible." You pulled him in for another kiss.