Enjolras x Reader: The Girl

"You don't understand, she's like an angel descended! Her eyes...Her smile...Her voice! I've never met anyone so beautiful." Enjolras rolled his eyes as Marius gushed about his 'lady love'.

Hypocrite.

When Marius had first joined the cause, he had boasted about being loyal. He had said nothing would ever distract him and, most of all, that he had no interest in women.

That hadn't lasted very long.

He had only known this girl for three days –three!—and he was already convinced that he would marry her. Enjolras wanted to smack him upside the head and tell him to get his head out of the clouds, but then he would be the hypocrite.

Enjolras had been fighting for more rights as long as he could remember.
But somewhere along the way, Enjolras had become too focused, and without realizing it, began to push away those without beliefs as strong as his. Before he knew it, he was alone.

Now, he still had friends in the café, but it wasn't the same. They saw him as a leader, not an equal. And he was lonely.

He had no idea where to start, though. He wanted a life with someone special.

But he didn't have much experience in approaching others. He wouldn't even know where to start. "I'd love for you all to meet her!" Marius exclaimed. That was the last straw. Enjolras stood up, sending his chair skidding back, and stalked out of the café, ignoring his friends. He picked a random street and made his way down it. Blinded by annoyance and envy, he didn't see the girl with the basket until it was too late. They crashed into each other and both went sprawling back. She let out a shout of pain as her elbow connected with the cobblestone. He let out a curse, but quickly popped back up.

"I'm so sorry," He began as he stooped to help her up. She grabbed his hand and he pulled her up. She brushed her skirts off, and retrieved her baskets. She looked up to thank him...

...And his heart stopped.

Large, bright eyes peered up at him, and her lips were curled into an easy smile. A stray wisp of hair curled over her forehead, and she blew it out of her eyes. He didn't realize he was staring until a hand waved in front of his face.

"Hello?" He blinked.

"Uh...what?" He said dumbly.

"I asked if you were alright," She said.

"Oh...Yeah. Yeah, I'm alright." She smiled.

"That's good." They fell into an awkward silence. "Well thank you for helping me." He smiled in reply, and she brushed past him, continuing on her way.

Enjolras hesitated, before turning. "Would you let me walk you to your destination?" She stopped and turned around waving her hand.

"Oh no, that's not necessary."

"I insist," Enjolras said, before jogging to catch up with her. He offered his arm, and, after raising an eyebrow, she slipped her arm in his. "Where to?"

"The café. It should be a few blocks from here."

"I know," Enjolras said, and cringed at how gruff he sounded. "My friends and I meet there almost every night."

"Oh, really? I'm actually going to meet a friend myself! He said the same thing."

"What's his name? I might know him."

"His name is Marius." Enjolras' eyebrows rose.

"You're meeting Marius?" She nodded, and he laughed. "Try not to hit him, he's being insufferable tonight." She laughed, and Enjolras smiled at the sound.

"How?"

"He met a girl, and he won't stop gushing about her." He didn't notice her blush.

"R-Really?"

"Oh yeah!" Enjolras laughed. "He never shuts up about her! He keeps calling her an angel."

"Oh...That's nice."

"Unless you have to listen to it. It was amusing at first, but now we're thinking she's not even real. He said he'd bring her by sometime, so we'll see if he's telling the truth." They walked into the café, and in the light, it was even clearer how pretty the girl was. Enjolras kept reminding himself not to stare at her, but it was pretty difficult. He'd need a distraction, and fast, or else he'd be done for.

His prayers were answered shortly.

Because the girl immediately began weaving her way through the people in order to get to Marius.

Who grinned widely, swept her into his arms, and planted a loving kiss on her mouth. Enjolras froze.

Oh. Crap.