Enjolras x Reader: The Girl Part 2

I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot. I am officially the biggest idiot to ever idiot. Enjolras was sitting in a dark corner with his head in his hands

"I thought you were leaving?" Grantaire sat down across from him. Enjolras shook his head without looking up. "Have you met Y/N?"

"Who?"

"Marius's... friend."

"...Unfortunately."

"What does that mean?" Grantaire laughed as he took a drink from his bottle. "I think she's great."

"That's the problem!" Enjolras snapped.

"What do you—oh. Oh!" Grantaire burst into laughter once more. "I never thought I'd live to see the day!" He crowed. Then he grew serious.

Well, as serious as Grantaire could be. "So what are you going to do?"

"What am I—nothing! I'm not going to do anything! Look at them." Enjolras flung his arm out, gesturing to where you and Marius sat, deep in conversation. Your hands were entwined with his on top of the table.

"So you're just going to sit here and be miserable," Grantaire deadpanned.

"It's an infatuation, R. I'll be over it in no time.

...

Well.

That was a lie.

You had been visiting the café for a week now, and with every visit it was getting harder to ignore his (let's face it, it's a crush now) feelings for you. He tried his damnedest to find a flaw about you, something that he could find unforgivable, but to his disappointment he came up with nothing.

"I know that look." He turned to see Eponine sit down alongside him. "They're a beautiful couple, aren't they?" She said with a tone of sadness in her voice. Enjolras grunted. "You know, Marius is very much a believer in love at first sight. He has been the entire time I've known him. Everytime he announces he's in love, I always hope it will be me. Never is, of course." Enjolras felt sympathy for the girl next to him. He pined after the first woman he'd ever wanted to be closer to.

Eponine had to watch the man she wanted choose someone else of her.

Over, and over, and over.

"It's hard." Enjolras admitted at last.

"I'm not telling you it's not. It's always going to be hard. But you learn to live with it. If I can be in his world, even if it's just as a friend, it's enough for me, because it has to be enough." With one last supportive hand on his shoulder, Eponine was gone.

Enjolras though about what Eponine had said. She had a good point. There was a good chance you'd never be his. But he wanted to be a part of your world. As he watched you talking and laughing, with Marius and Grantaire, a feeling of acceptance washed over him.

He could live with that.