Enjolras x Reader: Stutters and Blushes

"We deserve the same rights as the upper class!" Enjolras declared as the people at his feet cheered. "We are all equal in the Lord's eyes and have the right to be treated as such!" The roar of the crowd was deafening. You were standing to the side with Eponine, watching the rally in quiet interest. The nationalistic passion surrounding you was quickly dispersed, however, with the familiar sound of hooves against the pavement. Heads turned and bodies scattered as the guards dealt with the rally. Eponine pulled you into an alley and you circled back to the café.

"So," You said as you walked alongside your friend.

"So?"

"You and Marius," You teased. "How's that going?" Eponine flushed red, and you laughed.

"I don't think he sees it," She admitted quietly. "I don't think he'll ever see it," Your grin faded and you wrapped a sympathetic arm around her shoulders.

"Don't worry, Pony. God works in mysterious ways," She smiled at you as you walked through the café doors.

"Thanks, Y/N," You smiled before splitting off indirections, Eponine approaching Marius, and you sitting down with Grantaire and Combeferre.

"Gentlemen," You said with a smirk as you said down. Grantaire took a swig and slammed his bottle on the table.

"And she graces us with our presence at last!" He slurred.

"You're drunk." You said with a laugh.

"And you're pretty." You looked at Combeferre.

"How long has he been like this?"

"I...I don't even know," He snickered. "Hey, hey Grantaire. How long have you been like this?"

"Like what?" Combeferre waved his hand at Grantaire.

"Like...this!" They both burst into obnoxious laughter. Realizing they would both be toddlers for a while, you stood up and looked for someone else to sit with. You wandered around until you spotted Enjolras, sitting by himself and going over some papers. You sat down across from him.

"You did great today," You told him. His head snapped up and his eyes landed on you.

"Oh! Uh," He floundered for a minute as his face turned red. "Hi, Y/N," You circled the table and stood next to him, studying the papers.

"What are these?"

"Um, well, these are just some plans for next week's rally." He said softly. You nodded and read them. "Listen, I've got to go." He said suddenly. "Bye Y/N!" He gathered his paper and left in a frazzled rush. You watched him disappear into the crowd. Shaking your head, you sat down at the table and looked out the window. Someone sat down and you looked over at Courfeyrac.

"It's weird, isn't it?" He raised an eyebrow. "Enjolras," You elaborated. "On the stage he's so confident, but as soon as we get back it's nothing but stutters and blushes." Courfeyrac snickered.

"You're serious?"

"What?"

"You think he's always like that?" You nodded.

"He is," Courfeyrac laughed louder.

"What are you laughing like that?"

"It's you!"

"What?"

"Look at Enjolras," he pointed to where Enjolras was talking to Marius and showing him his documents. "He's not stuttering and blushing right now," You studied him. It was true; the revolutionary had the same attitude as when he was on stage. You raised an eyebrow, and looked at Courfeyrac. "You make him nervous."

"Really?"

"Yes! Don't you see?" You shrugged. "Y/N, he's head over heels for you!" Your heart sped up.

"Really?"

"What do you mean, 'really?' He never stops talking about you!" You found yourself smiling and you looked in Enjolras' direction. He was already looking at you with pure adoration on his face, but as soon as your eyes met his face turned a deep red. He smiled shakily before quickly turning away. After a few moments he looked back. You were still looking at him. You smiled and his eyes brightened, albeit cautiously. You nodded slowly, and his face brightened with a smile. You both stared at each other from across the room, until Marius tapped Enjolras' and he was forced to turn back to his work. You watched him for a few more minutes.

He was smiling for the rest of the night.