The Battle on the Horizon: Chap 20

Not edited.

Amelia's POV

Today was the day. We had gathered intel that Ace's pack had begun to move North and into the territory. It was happening... and I mean really happening. I could feel the anxiety swirl in my chest. Even though I had been training nonstop, I still felt the same feeling I had felt right before I was about to write a test that I didn't study for. My mother knocked on the door to my bedroom causing me to jump from the sound.

"Hey sweetie. You ready to go?" What an odd question. Was I ready to fight a giant pack of wolves and possibly some fairies? Hell no.

"Can I say no?" I asked rubbing my clammy hands together. She walked over to the bed softly and put her arm around my back after she sat down. I leaned my head against her shoulder and closed my eyes to enjoy her warmth. There were still holes in our relationship that were healing slowly, but a hug from mom still had the power to comfort me.

"It's okay to be afraid Amelia. You have to remember that you were born for this." she ran her hand over my hair as she spoke. It was soothing to have her fingers drag through the strands.

"Why did you keep me from this life? I feel like I wouldn't be as nervous as I am now." I thought back to my old life. I missed being oblivious to all of these things, to werewolves and our most recent family drama. Most of all I missed my normal life... my normal friends. 

"We wanted to protect you from Ace. We couldn't imagine losing you too after we had already lost your brother. And I don't think being raised as a werewolf makes war any easier. Everyone is just as afraid as you are." I tried to imagine the others being as afraid as I was, but I couldn't. I didn't think Caine or Mr. Peters were afraid. They were warriors... and much more skilled in battle. I don't even think dad was afraid. 

"The Moon Goddess told me I was going to lose someone really close to me today. I am not sure I am ready for that." I admitted feeling my shoulders slump. I felt so drained already and the fight hadn't even begun.

"Guys we need to go." My mom and I looked towards the door where Kaden stood. He had war paint drawn across his face like he believed he was a viking or something, "Come on Amelia, let's get you geared up." 

Mom and I followed Kaden down the steps. There were others from the pack milling in the foyer who also had their faces painted. Why is everyone painting their faces? I spotted Vanessa next to Jordan near the front door and began to make my way towards them. Vanessa's face lit up when she caught sight of me and too, began to push her way through the crowd.

"Why haven't you painted your face yet?" She asked frantically. 

"Do I have to?" I honestly thought it was a completely ridiculous thing to do, all things considered.

"It's war paint Amelia, a right of passage. It's ritual." I was looking for the joke hidden in her words but she was being serious. 

"Okay... let's do it." I told her. Her lips turned up a bit before she grabbed my hand and pulled me to the station where the paint was being held in jars. She dipped one of the brushes before she lifted it towards my face. The paint was cold once she pressed it against my skin. It also, did not smell good. 

"Perfect." she said. A howl spread through the air calling the attention of everyone in the house. 

"It's time to move out!" someone shouted. My heart began to pound inside my chest at the thought. I practically got shoved out the door from the movement of the crowd making its way out. My arm was forcefully grabbed and I was pulled with strength to the left, making my feet practically drag through the snow. I looked up to see that Derek had been the one to grab me.