× Chapter Fourteen: One of a Kind ×

--------------------------

"Great job out there, kid." Broadside complimented as soon as he took his helmet off. Mal had hopped from the gunner seat and nodded to him as she approached his side. "You too, Broadside. I'm glad to have been your gunner."

"I'm glad you were, too. I would say you want to help the boys and I celebrate later on but you're too young to drink." Broadside with a chuckle as Mal shook her head, giggling. "Yes, I am. But maybe if you guys have any pops, I'll definitely take one."

"You got it." Broadside said while patting my shoulder before he walked away, leaving Mal to smile under her mask.

She remembered what Matchstick had told Broadside before they jumped to hyperspace. She remembered that Matchstick said that drinks were on him when they got back from the mission. She was glad to have been there because if she hadn't, maybe Matchstick wouldn't be there. He wouldn't be there, like his other brothers that died, to celebrate their victory.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a hand grasping her shoulder. She quickly turned to see that it was Ahsoka. Her Master and Anakin had walked away to meet with in the control room while leaving Mal and Ahsoka to chat amongst themselves.

"You okay?"

"I feel..really good, Ahsoka. I think it's because if I hadn't have fixed Matchstick's bomber, he probably wouldn't be here with his brothers. Like the ones that died out there today. That's all I've ever dreamed of doing, helping others that are vulnerable." Mal explained while looking up at the bomber herself and Broadside shared.

"You and me both. I feel that since I've become a Padawan, I've been helping a lot more people than I fail to realize. With fighting this war, we could bring peace back to the galaxy. And it all starts with the men among us." Ahsoka said while the girls turned around at the sound of footsteps approaching.

When they did, Ahsoka and Mal smiled when Rex had came into their sight and Mal greeted him by shaking his hand.

"Great job out there, kid, Mal. You have a lot of respect from the men for what you did today." Rex said through his helmet as Mal nodded and Ahsoka and herself glanced at each other. "We did what we felt was right. And I guess it paid off."

"We couldn't have done it without the help of the Shadow Squadron. The ones that are left and the ones not with us." Mal said while looking from Ahsoka to Rex again. "Thank you, Rex. We appreciate your compliment."

"Consider yourselves lucky to be alive, kid. You two are one of a kind." Rex said before nodding to both girls and walked away, leaving Ahsoka to smile and Mal to rub her arm. "Rex is a cool guy once you get to know him. That's just about 10% of his inner circle."

"Yeah, I've gotten to know him a little. I think he's starting to open up to me, I'm not sure." Mal said while crossing her arms. "Well, we can figure it out later, let's go eat something. I'm hungry."

"I am, too. I haven't eaten anything since I left the temple this morning." Mal said while the two girls walked out of the main hangar.