CHAPTER 8 - Little One

I was having a stroll in my kingdom accompanied by Sia and a few guards. The village was peaceful, but it became hectic in the town center. Citizens selling their goods such as loaves of bread, meats, pieces of jewelry, fresh greens, and many more. They bowed in my presence; I smiled and raise my hands; "Continue your good work!" I smiled and everything went back to usual. An aroma of freshly baked bread drew me to it. I was going to buy the bread for my people in the palace but abruptly, a young adolescent was thrown across the concrete ground. "You! Son of a bastard! You can never do anything right! I am going to sell you now itself." A middle-aged portly bald man came out shouting at the poor boy.

The boy had bruises on his limbs, his skin was covered with dirt and he was malnourished by his thin and small figure. The bald man was clumping towards the young boy. He was holding a hot metal iron which was still bright red. Before he could hit the young boy, I stood in front of the boy facing the man as I kicked his right arm causing him to release the hot metal iron and growled in pain. He was rubbing his arm to ease the pain. He glared; "What the fuck are you doing?" he roared as he swings his other arm, but I managed to dodge and booted him at his belly. He lost his balance and fell on the ground. He grimaced in agony. Sia stood in front of me; "Respect your queen!" she roared. The man looked up and he abruptly knelt begging for forgiveness. 

I turned to the poor boy; "Are you alright?" I asked worriedly. The boy was weeping in pain; the boy was badly abused. I assisted him to get up but when our skin touched, I felt a strong wave spread through me. My body trembled by his touch. Mate? A young mortal as my mate. I ignored my feelings, but this made me raged. Sia was looking at me anxiously; I nodded to show that I am fine. "Did he do these to you?" I questioned gently pointing on his wounds; trying not to frighten the boy. He nodded fearfully. "Who is he to you?" I continued. "My stepdad." He answered softly. Rage boiled in my blood. "Where is your mum?" I questioned. "He sold her away!" he bawled.

I glared at the man who was looking down; terrified to look up. My eyes darted at him; suddenly, flow to water encircled him and it went up to his throat suffocating him. He was gasping for air. "Your highness!" Sia exclaimed. I was stunned and his neck was released, and the water crashed on the ground. Some of the villagers saw the scene and I heard whispering among them. "Come, let us get you cleaned up!" I smiled as I offered my hand to the boy and he grabbed lightly. "Throw him to the dungeon!" I growled before leaving him. I heard the man struggling to be released. Everyone went back to their daily routines as if it did not happen.

The carriage was ready in front of us, one of the guards opened the door for us. I helped the boy up to the carriage before entering. Sia told me that she will take the horses with our prisoner; I nodded in approval. "What is your name?" I asked the boy. "Xavier!" he rubbed his swollen eyes. "How long has he been hitting you?" I questioned as I examined those wounds and bruises. "Since I was 10 years old. My mum was married to him due to our high debt." He cried. I caressed his cheeks gently; "Don't worry! I will protect you." I smiled. "How old are you?" I continued. "Fifteen." He mumbled. 

"Do you know where your mum is?" I asked. He shook his head. Once we reached the palace, few maids rushed forward. "Help him cleaned up! Get him some clothes! Prepare some food for him!" I instructed. One of the maids brought the boy gently to one of our guest rooms to be cleaned while the others performed the other commands. "Your highness!" Sia greeted. I was astonished by her speed. "The man is in the dungeon! What would you want to do with him, your highness?" she asked. "I want to ask him a few questions!" I answered and she led me to the prison which was at the Far East side of the palace.