Chapter 14

Travis' POV

I knocked on the front door. No answer. I knocked again.Still no answer.

"Kody! Dakota! Answer the door." I shouted.

No reply came to me. Was she so upset?

"I want to say that I am sorry. I didn't mean it." I yelled at the door.

I sighed, "Come on, Dakota. Stop being so childish." I yelled, still pounding at the door.

I wondered where they kept the spare key. I search under the mat, then at the window pane to anything I could think of.

I walked around the house to stand below Dakota's bedroom window. Carefully, I began to climb up the tree next to it. I jumped from the tree to the window. Holding on to the edge of the window pane, I pulled the glass away to open the window. I forced myself through the tight hole.

Relieved, I entered Dakota's room. Slowly, I looked around the bedroom but she was no where to be found. I passed through the entire house yet I see couldn't see her. Did she leave the house already?

Going back into her bedroom, I looked around again. She had pulled off the sheets and the pillows off of her bed. Broken bottles smeared the hardwood floors of the bedroom. A pile of torn clothes laid on the floor near a door. It was the bathroom.

I eagerly tried to open the door but it was locked. I pounded on the door.

"Dakota! Let me in! I want to talk to you. I'm so sorry." I shouted into the closed room. No sound emitted from the bathroom.

I kicked open the door with much force. Dakota's frail body rested limp in the bath. Terror filled me as I walked closer to her. Her face looked pale and lifeless. Earphones were in her ears, still blasting out loud music. I looked at the music player. It floated on the water, its contents spilled.

Shock and pain filled me. Static came from the player and transfered to her ears. The device was shocking her if she wasn't already shocked to death. Didn't she know that electronics weren't supposed to be in water?

I grabbed her hand, my fingers trembling with the touch.

"Da..Dakota?" I adressed the limp figure.

She didn't answer.

I began to weep. She must be dead. She could be dead and her last conversation was one filled with anger. I began to regret what I said to her.

The hands were icy cold, just as the still water. Her eyes were half open, staring at thin air. I started to weep. I sobbed against her. I didn't know how long I took until I got enough will power to stand up.

I carried her frail body in my hands. I rested her bare torso on the bed. Weeping still, I laid my head on her stomach. My head went down and up again. She wasn't dead. She was breathing. New hope filled up my insides.

Dakota started to cough, I pulled her near my body and went to the phone. I needed help. She was alive and that was all that mattered.