Twelve Days - Day 9

"Jemma, it's the shortest day of the year for a reason," Fitz groaned from their bed, then buried his face deeper in the sheets.

"Yes, and that reason is the revolution of the Earth around the sun, not the human's evolved trait of laziness," She threw a pillow at him.  "Get up."

The seven-year-old twins bounced into the room, Rose still sleepy-eyed, as soon as Fitz had crawled out of his warmth in the covers.  Fitz, after a short trip to the bathroom, went to the closet to put on his standard flannel and tie, while Simmons began dressing the girls up for their scheduled trip to the mall.  They each ended up wearing a huge, green, knitted sweater with either an 'R' or an 'S'.  (Simmons had been inspired by the Weasleys.)  Grant came lumbering down the stairs with his red 'G' sweater and joined the rest of the Fitzsimmons on their way down to the kitchen.

Fitz had already started making the pancakes, and Jemma stopped him momentarily as to fix his tie.  Pancake mix was a staple in the Fitzsimmons household.  They had it nearly every morning.  And if they didn't have it for breakfast, Fitz would make some for a snack.

"Why did we have to get up so early?" Grant asked, then brushed some of his long curls out of his face and took a bite.

"Mall Santa today," Jemma replied, then leaned against the counter,  "Did you brush your hair this morning?"

"Hey, I wore the right sweater," Grant said with a smirk.  Fitz smiled back over Jemma's shoulder, but Jemma gave him a stern look.

"It doesn't matter.  You'll be fine.  I used to give your dad haircuts, and let's just say he probably should have gotten a better stylist."  The twins and Grant laughed, and Fitz rolled his eyes and flipped another pancake.

After everyone had finished their breakfast, Fitzsimmmons loaded everyone into the mini van (something neither one had thought they would ever buy) and took off for the mall.

The line was fairly short, since they had arrived early, so Sarah was able to skip right up.  Fitzsimmons took their pictures, Sarah told the guy waht she wanted, and was done quickly.  Rose was also fast.

Then Grant dragged his feet to the huge Santa thrown and made a big deal of being too old and not wanting to do this.  Santa chuckled awkwardly for a long time, while Fitzsimmons had to convince their thirteen-year-old son to at least get a picture.  After another minute or so of fighting, he was holding up the line, so Fitzsimmons had to get a picture of him being escorted past Santa Claus by some elves.

"I think that was Grant's last year," Fitz whispered to Jemma as they followed their kids to the food court.

"Did you see Santa's face?" Jemma blurted back, then stifled her laughter in Fitz's sleeve.  Grant seemed to speed up in front of them, not wanting to be associated with his parents any longer.

"Did you ever go through that stage?" Jemma asked, looking on wistfully as Grant waved hello to some peole from his class.  They had taken their place in a line for Panera, and Rose and Sarah had chosen a table.

"Well, not really.  But I didn't care about my reputation in school."

"Nerd," Jemma teased, and he laughed.  They picked up the meals they ordered, and found the table where the twins were laughing at each other.

"Nerd!" Rose accused Sarah, and they both giggled.  Fitz looked at Jemma before breaking into laughter himself.

"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree," Fitz said as he set down their food.

Simmons stopped laughing and put on a scientific look.  "Actually, that statement is inaccurate.  Apples often fall far from their trees, as they are spherical and roll nicely.  The more accurate statement would be 'The banana doesn't fall far from the tree,' because bananas fall straight down, and don't roll."

Fitz just smiled at her warmly as she finished.

"What?"

"You're just really amazing," Fitz answered with a grin.  "And I'm so lucky to be with you."

"You are probably the best husband in the world," Jemma replied with an equally loving smile, and the twins stared at them in horror, knowing a kiss was bound to happen.

"Mommy," Rose interrupted before their lips met.  "Could you please refrain from kissing in front of us?"

"Sure, monkey," Fitz laughed, then stroked Rose's head fondly.

"Can we see Santa again?" Sarah asked loudly.

It seemed as though they could never stop their laughter these days.