Anything but Irrelevant

Quick Note: I really really like this. I'm assuming something like it will happen in either 2x04 or 2x05. At least I hope.

---------------------------------------------

"Why'd you do it?" The consistent beep of the heart monitor played as background noise. Jemma had just woken up, and Fitz, without any greeting whatsoever, was already demanding information from her. He didn't sound grateful for getting his original mind back. He sounded angry. He wasn't even meeting her pleading eye contact, just staring at the wall behind her sternly.

She answered his question with a worried question of her own. "Did the serum work?" Fitz nodded, reassuring her. His mind was fine now. All her sacrifices had been worth it.

"Why'd you do it?" he repeated, any hint of emotion concealed. They had both become so good at faking okay-ness for each other. Jemma felt her heart break. Although Fitz was better, their relationship needed some patching up.

Simmons knew exactly what he meant by the question, and looked down and sighed. "It was in the team's best interest." She tried to sound truthful, but Fitz had already known the answer to the question.

"No, it was in my best interest," he corrected her. Jemma swiveled her head to face the window, again hiding her guilt. Could she ever do anything right?

"You cannot do that again, Jemma. You have a duty to S.H.I.E.L.D. You have to help them, no matter the cost. They need you. I am irrelevant." Jemma snapped her head back, appalled at what he had just said. Not bothering to hide her frustration, she began to yell as the tears started coming.

"Don't you ever say that again!" Fitz leaned away, taken aback by her anger. "Fitz, you deserve just as much as any other member of the team! You are anything but irrelevant! You're all I could think about!" Her words slurred into her shaking body, as she began crying more forcefully.

"Jemma, stop," Fitz ordered before she could do more. His words were loaded with warning. If she raised her voice, he would, too. But Jemma pushed on.

"An I wrong for feeling responsible?!" she demanded.

"Yes!" Fitz stood, suddenly outraged. "Bloody hell, yes! That was my choice down there, okay?! I wanted to do that!"

"But I didn't want you to!" Jemma screamed right back. "Did you ever consider that?!" For a moment, the only thing heard in the room was the rapid beating of the monitor. Soon enough, it slowed back to a regular pace.

"Don't you remember us?" Jemma questioned softly. "There's a reason everyone would always refer to us as one person. Fitzsimmons." Jemma watched Fitz's face, noticing he was crying, too.

"You're my other half. I can't live without you." Fitz finally met her eyes, for the first time since he had told her how he felt, and concealed none of his pain. She could see the hurt she had caused him, and he could see the hurt he had caused her, even though the last thing in the world they would want to do is hurt each other.

"Why did we end up like this?" Fitz asked, voice strangled.

"This isn't an ending," Jemma answered. "Please, stay with me."