Fitzsimmons Easter

Quick Note: Happy Easter if you celebrate that! Happy Passover if you celebrate that! Happy Sunday if you don't celebrate any of those days! Here's a holiday fanfiction for all of you!

---------------------------------------------

Maybe having an egg hunt on the moving Bus wasn't such a good idea. Fitz and Simmons had hidden various colored, plastic, chocolate-containing eggs around the many rooms of the Bus, in the hope of cheering up the mellow agents. Their logic was that, maybe, if the Bus felt more like home, the team would feel more real, more validated. It turned out to be more annoying than reassuring, especially when a solemn Lance tripped on one of the woven baskets and muttered out a string of swear words.

"Agent Hunter!" Simmons scolded, pulling the most perfect mom face ever to be seen on the Bus. "Language!"

Hunter was clearly too distraught to come up with a clever reply, instead kicking the egg to the side and marching angrily to where the now small team gathered on the couches.

"Fitzsimmons, what's this about?" Coulson asked, arms folded across his chest. He was intensely planning a search for Skye, and did not appreciate being interrupted.

"Yeah, we're barely getting by undetected," May added, stony-faced. She had been holed up in the cockpit, flying the plane and avoiding confrontation about her feelings like usual. Though she didn't show it, everyone on the team knew she was just as worried about Skye as Coulson was.

Simmons looked to Fitz, who was nervously staring at the floor and making that heartbreaking 'undeserving' face.

"I, um, Fitz and I planned an Easter egg hunt to take your minds off of... everything." Jemma's confidence dropped as she observed the disinterest of everyone in the room. "I mean, only if you guys want to. You know what? Never mind. This was a stupid idea." She turned around and brought her hands to her neck, a nervous habit of hers.

"Jemma, it's fine," Fitz whispered, taking one of her hands in his and stroking his thumb across her palm. "We can do our own egg hunt, and eat a ton of chocolate, and it'll be great." Jemma managed a sad smile, still worrying.

"Agent Simmons," Coulson interrupted, and his tone became a lot gentler. "Thank you for setting this up." He glanced over to May, who nodded certainly. "I'm making this egg hunt a mandatory part of team-building."

"What?!" Hunter demanded, outraged. "I'm not doing a bloody egg hunt like a child. I'm a trained mercenary, for Christ's sake."

Coulson smirked subtly before replying, "You will be participating, Agent."

Hunter groaned quietly before standing up and popping his fingers. "Where do we start?"

Simmons, unable to control her contagious gleam, explained the rules of the hunt, and each agent grabbed their own baskets in preparation. Even Coulson and May enthusiastically snatched up eggs, if only for Jemma's amusement. Hunter was happy with his chocolate by the end, and they even filled a basket with candy for Skye, when they found her.

"Thank you for the fun afternoon, Jemma." Fitz stopped by Jemma's bunk to thank her after it was all over, than hastily turned back to his own bunk.

"Fitz," Jemma called before he was too far away.

His head reappeared in the doorway almost instantly, and Jemma had to hold in a laugh at his excitement.

"Would you like to stay?" she asked confidently, scooting over on the bed so that he could sit beside her. She didn't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable asking, for the first time in months, and Fitz didn't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable accepting. It was so close to the nights they used to spend before Hydra, but it had a different feeling to it.

They had changed, for sure. But it was a change in the best way. Kind of like going from winter to spring. Both phases were great, but spring brought newness and light and warmth. Nobody ever complains about the change from cold winter to warm springtime. And Jemma wouldn't ever complain about this new change between her and Fitz.