Storytelling

Quick Note: Liz tweeted me during the Q&A yesterday :)

---------------------------------------------

"And I guess that's when I saw your flare," Jemma finished, and she was speaking so softly, with a voice so wavering, that Fitz had to lean forward to hear. Silence stretched on between them as Jemma reviewed everything she'd told him, and as Fitz attempted to comprehend it.

"So, there's another person on that planet?" he breathed finally.

"There was," Jemma corrected faintly. "Who knows if he's still alive."

"Either way, there's going to be some sort of remains left over-" Jemma sucked in a breath, and Fitz immediately cringed at his wording. "I'm sorry," he apologized, then paused for a moment to come up with a logical reassurance. "I really doubt he would've died in the past week, though."

"I don't know," Jemma whispered back, her voice cracking slightly, before leaning her head forward. Recounting her survival must've been exhausting within itself. Pushing her to think about it even more now wouldn't help either of them.

"So you need to go back to save him?" Fitz suggested, and she nodded once in reply. "Because he saved you so many times." She nodded again. "Okay, I understand now. I really like that you opened up to me, Jemma." She stayed quiet.

"I bet you're pretty tired now, from talking so much. Do you want to sleep?"

"I want to go back," Jemma replied blankly, then blinked slowly.

Fitz sighed. "Drink some water, go to sleep, and we'll talk to Coulson about it in the morning, okay?"

"I have to save him," she insisted, and Fitz smiled sadly.

"I promise you will eventually, there's just no way you're physically able to right now, Jemma."  She shook her head, but didn't protest when Fitz covered her with a light blanket.

"Do you want me to stay?" Fitz asked softly before turning off the lights.  He saw the silhouette of her head moving back and forth, and he tried not to be too hurt by it as he walked out the door.

Fitz knew she was angry with him, but he also knew that her PTSD was impacting her trust instincts. He remembered when he was hallucinating Jemma, how confused he'd been when the real Jemma tried to help him.  It only made sense.  This was just part of his repayment to her.

Fitz absolutely loved taking care of Jemma, so he knew she needed patience and understanding.  And lots and lots of tea, so he immediately headed to the kitchen to start up a kettle.  As he passed the lab, though, Bobbi called out to him, so he decided the tea could wait.  She deserved a long nap anyways.

"How's Jemma?" Bobbi asked, setting down a vial of inhuman DNA sample.

"Pretty good for the most part," Fitz paused.  "She opened up to me about what happened on the alien planet."

"Really?" Bobbi asked with wide eyes.  "What did she say?  Did she tell you why she wants to go back?"

Fitz nodded.  "There was another person on the planet, she says."

"A human person?"

"As far as she could tell.  I didn't catch a name, but he was tall and muscular, and he'd been there months before her."

"Do you think he taught her how to survive?" Bobbi inquired, pulling out a notebook then uncapping a pen with her teeth.

"No, she did that herself.  He helped hunt, looked out for her while she slept, told her what he knew about life on the planet."

"And she left him behind," Bobbi finished for him, but Fitz felt his stomach churn at the halfway accusatory tone.

"She didn't have a choice," Fitz snapped defensively.  "There was a wind storm, and I hardly made contact with her.  If there'd been a third person, who knows if we'd be standing here?"

"I'm not blaming you or Jemma," Bobbi replied sternly before closing the notebook with a loud thump.

"I know, I just... Jemma, she's already been through so much.  I don't want her feeling responsible for a friend's death on top of it."

"I understand."

"Thank you, Bobbi, really, for all your help."

"Not a problem.  What happened with me and Hunter, that reminded me of just how fragile relationships are.  But also how strong love is.  Really, without my help, you and Jemma would still find a way.  I admire that dedication."

Fitz didn't know how to react, so he just smiled.  "I've gotta go put a kettle on.  Jemma's tea will be cold by the time she wakes up."  He turned to leave the lab, but Bobbi's voice stopped him.

"Fitz?" she called.  He spun slowly back to face her, really just wanting to leave.

"Yeah?"

"It's okay to take time for yourself, too," she said with a smile.

He wanted to tell her that just being with Jemma made him happier than he'd been in months, but he knew she had good intentions.   So instead he smiled and said, "Thanks, Bob."

She knew he'd eventually have to tell Coulson about Jemma's experiences on the planet, but right now it was important that he made tea for her, so he did that first. Even in matters this trivial, Jemma always came first.