Seventh Year- Part Two

Quick Note: Thank you all so much for ten thousand reads! I'll be sure to keep writing what you guys want!

I guess I'm updating so frequently because school is coming in a week. Sigh. When that happens I might go back to updating only once a week.

---------------------------------------------

"Potions with the Hufflepuffs?" Fitz asked. Jemma nodded, a smile making its way onto her face. "Great." Fitz finished sarcastically. "Another class with a bunch of-" He stopped talking suddenly as a seventh year Hufflepuff walked past them with a frown on her face.

Fitz's expression turned into one of a whimpering puppy being scolded. His mouth fell open as he struggled to find an apology for the Hufflepuff quickly passing them. Jemma laughed, way too loud for the hallway they were in, by the way. Several first years looked their way in fear. Fitz clasped his hand over Jemma's mouth and gave the terrified children a friendly smile. They seemed to pick up their pace quite a bit.

Jemma, who had stopped laughing ages ago, pulled Fitz's soft hand free from her face, and proceeded to clean out her mouth by spitting at him.

"Stop doing that, Fitz. We're graduating from Hogwarts in seven months. You're so childish!"

"What else would you prefer I gag you with?" So many thoughts ran through Jemma's head, causing her to outwardly blush. Fitz, although he noticed, decided to ignore it. The two walked in silence for awhile, Jemma mentally punishing herself for thinking that about Fitz, her one and only best friend.

"Hey there, Miss Head Girl." Fitz waved his hand in front of her face. He had been trying to engage her in another conversation before they had entered the potions room.

"Sorry, what?" Jemma asked with an irrational fear that Fitz would think her to be less intelligent.

"You're awfully distracted, Jemma," he commented. "We haven't played one game of chess this week. What's going on?"

"Just Head Girl stress." She lied. Truthfully, she couldn't think of anything but Fitz. The simple curl falling on his forehead. His dark, long eyelashes flickering as he read. That familiar accent with a matured twist. It annoyed her. Why couldn't she get him out of her head? She was missing out on his complaining right now because she was too busy thinking about him.

Not that she enjoyed listening to his complaining.

"Oh, I forgot to ask," Jemma, trying to distract herself from herself, cut Fitz off of his tangent about why he disliked the particular shade of the color of his bed curtains. "Did you bring Daisy?"

Daisy was Fitz's pet owl. She was quite small and had an array of different shades of grey feathers. Fitz had gotten her before first year, and she was quite old then, so now, in their seventh year, the poor bird could hardly fly straight.

"Yeah. I think this'll be her last year delivering for me, though. I want to give her a break. A retirement." The way he talked about the owl as if it were a person spurred a whole new stream of thoughts about the amazingness that was Fitz.

As she sat down upon the stool in the grimy, dark classroom, Jemma decided not to discourage herself from thinking like that anymore. If it kept happening, maybe there was a reason. And being a Ravenclaw meant that she needed to embrace that reason.

Professor Slughorn cleared his throat, drawing Jemma's attention back to the front of the room. Jemma thought Slughorn should really retire. His shaking hand scrawled astoundingly elegant letters upon the chalkboard. As he turned to face the already bored Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs, a sincere, old-man smile broke out on his face, causing Jemma to kindly smile back. He had been the potions teacher the entirety of her Hogwarts experience.

"Ah, Miss Simmons," he spoke kindly. Jemma was his favorite. The poster girl of greatness in his class. "I assume you've already finished reading this year's potions textbook?" he inquired knowingly. Jemma nodded shyly, and the class was consumed in chuckles.

"Good, good. Could you tell me the first ingredient in the highly complicated Elixir of Empathy, which we will be starting today?"

"The first ingredient would be crushed unicorn's horn." Jemma answered politely, not trying to sound like a know-it-all, although everyone in the class already knew she was.

"Correct." Fitz nudged her shoulder in congratulations, and the two fell into an intense gaze. Fitz's eyes were chocolatey brown. She could have recalled this information before, but now the shade seemed so different. She added it to her long list of things to obsess over, because this suddenly recognizable beauty was worthy of obsession.

The two blinked at the same moment, and the feeling of the eye contact changed. They each pulled back and looked away, Jemma blushing, Fitz laughing nervously.

Slughorn had gone on about directions already, so Fitz and Jemma scrambled to find ingredients. They unsurprisingly finished first in class. Their elixir, to be stored at Azkaban in order to let prisoners have emotional connections to their families, was made both the quickest and of the best quality, like usual.

"Lovely, Fitzsimmons." Professor Slughorn sometimes referred to the two of them as one person. They were asked to patiently wait until the rest of the class were finished, so the two made small talk, not wishing to address the obvious change in feelings towards each other.