Jemma's Journey: Part Five

Simmons leaned against the glass of the helicopter carrying her back to the Playground. She had made her decision about Fitz and was still trying to figure out how to tell him. She couldn't put it into words, no matter how hard she tried. She was the smartest in her class and she couldn't think of how to phrase a simple concept.

"Leo," she whispered into the glass, practicing. "I don't like you." She stopped, then quickly restarted, "I mean, I do like you, just not- I guess what I'm trying to say is..." She sighed. She couldn't figure it out, and it bothered her. The agent driving the vehicle glanced over at her in confusion. Jemma couldn't have cared less; she was too frustrated. She gazed out the window, then tried again with her wording.

------------------------------------------

"Agent Simmons, we've landed!" the driving agent repeated, startling Jemma out of her concentration. She still had no luck. She could deny it all she wanted, but she could not say any of that to Leo. It would hurt him beyond repair.

Jemma pulled her luggage out of the back seat and briefly thanked the agent before returning to the Bus.

"Simmons!" Skye greeted as Simmons made her way up the ramp. The friends ran towards each other where they embraced.

"Is Fitz...?" Jemma asked.

"Not yet," Skye replied in understanding. "But we can go in for viewing tomorrow. You came back just in time." Skye smiled. Simmons tried to smile back. She couldn't decide if she wanted to see him already.

Skye picked up a duffel bag and walked Jemma up the spiral staircase and into the main area of the Bus. The team had completed most of the necessary repairs in the room

Triplet greeted Simmons quickly and made his way to the cockpit.

"What's with him?" Jemma asked. Skye paused briefly, and Jemma sensed the tension that just entered the room. The two sat awkwardly on the couch.

"Uh, nothing," Skye replied quickly. "So," she continued. "You're not in tears, so I assume you've figured it out?"

Jemma swallowed hard. "Um, I think so." she replied, her throat tightening.

"And?" Skye asked rather excitedly.

Jemma just shook her head, her lips pressed in a straight line as she tried to suppress her emotions.

"Oh, Simmons." Skye comforted, not asking anything else. Jemma silently cried onto Skye's shoulder.

"I can't tell him, though." she explained tearfully. "I don't have the heart."

"It'll be okay." Skye reassured. "Just give him a chance to wake up and catch up on everything," she continued. "And give yourself a chance to be with him happily."

Jemma nodded, then lifted her head from Skye's shoulder and made her way to her room to unpack and think.

------------------------------------------

It hit her at 11:37 at night. She lie awake, pondering, when she realized something. If she couldn't tell Fitz, maybe she shouldn't. Maybe she should wait for her feelings to work themselves out instead of hastily deciding for them. She should decide with her heart, not with her mind. That was going to be hard. Jemma always used her mind. She had to find a way to turn it off completely. And what surprised her most was that she was completely willing to do so, not for herself, but for Fitz, her other half.