Chapter Twenty Four

Chikorita and Ninetales watched as Hop and Raihan learned how to cook traditional food from Johto. Both Pokémon snickered at each failed attempt and any mess made.

"Can't we just call y/n? I'm sure she knows," Raihan asked.
"No! Otherwise you'll ruin your surprise for y/n!" Hop exclaimed as he tried taking the rotom phone.
"You can't have my phone! I got to update my posts for my fans and y/n!" Raihan stated as he dodged Hop.
"Ninetales a little help?" Hop pleaded.
"Ninetales don't help!" Raihan told her.
"Chika?" Chikorita questioned.
"Nine nine," Ninetales replied before lifting Chikorita onto her back.
"Oh come on Nine!" Hop spoke exasperated.

Ninetales in response, used psychic to spill water onto Hop. Raihan laughed whilst his rotom took a picture.

"I love you Ninetales!" Raihan snickered.
"Definitely y/n's Pokémon," Hop sighed.

Raihan patted Hop's back whilst his rotom posted the picture. He then followed Ninetales to see the fire type head to Ecruteak City. Chikorita was still on the fire types back.

"Raihan, we shouldn't head this way," Hop spoke up when he realised where they were going.
"Why?" Raihan asked.
"This is the direction of the graveyard. Ones that residents of Ecruteak use and some other people in Johto," Hop answered before adding, "Y/n's father and his Umbreon are buried here."
"I didn't know that," he admitted.
"Not many do," Hop spoke glumly.
"Nine," Ninetales hinted to the graveyard.
"I think Ninetales wants us to go," Raihan commented.

Hop sighed as he followed them. The fire type led them to two particular graves of y/n's father and his Umbreon.

"F/n m/n l/n, born d/o/b and died age 35. Loving father of Victor l/n and y/n l/n. Loving husband of m/n l/n. Only Pokémon and partner, Umbreon. Champion of Johto and Galar. Killed in action. He will be missed dearly. May he rest in peace with Nyx," Raihan read out.
Hop then read, "Nyx, an Umbreon born d/o/b (father's date of birth for Umbreon too). Mother of Dusk, Shard and Angel. Pokémon partner of f/n m/n l/n. Champion Pokémon of Johto and Galar. Killed in action. She will be missed dearly. May she rest in peace with her partner."
"Killed in action... both of them?" Raihan questioned.
"Y/n and her brother don't think it was an accident. Only they know what happened that day," Hop explained.
"Can you give me any detail or do I need to ask y/n? I don't want to upset her with it," Raihan replied with a slight frown.
"All I know, Nyx protected them all with f/n. Nothing else was said and it was kept that way when the tower collapsed," Hop told him.
"Who might you two be?" An elderly man questioned.
"I'm Hop and this is Raihan. We're from Galar," Hope replied with a grin.
"What are you doing all the way in Johto and outside f/n grave?" The elder asked curious.
"This is the grave of my fiancée's father and his Pokémon partner," Raihan explained, "We were originally here for Chikorita. A gift for her but her Ninetales took us here."
"Welcome home Ninetales," the elderly petted the fire type, "How is y/n?"

Ninetales made a purring sound whilst Hop and Raihan looked confused.

"How rude of me," the elderly man laughed, "My name is Cobalt Knight. I am a family friend of the l/n's. I knew y/n's grandmother and grandfather."
"Do you know what happened Mr Knight?" Raihan asked respectively.
"Yes. Follow," Cobalt told them, "It's not safe talking out here."
"Why is that?" Hop asked, confused.
"I'll explain once we're at my home," Cobalt replied as he added, "You may want to get in touch with Victor or y/n."

Raihan was messaging y/n as the group followed Cobalt. They entered his house which was on the outskirts of Ecruteak City. Two Lucario's appeared before disappearing again.

"What was that?!" Hop exclaimed in slight fear.
"Those are my Lucario's. They protect me," Cobalt explained before they entered.

They sat at the table whilst a Vaporeon brought over tea and biscuits.