Chapter 39: Embark

Cyclopean Base is even larger once inside.  They have made it so the soldiers never need to leave the base for anything---it has everything here. Those in command probably wouldn't let them leave any way for fear of desertion.  That is the reason we had to be in our admiral disguises. Our speeder drives towards the middle of the base.  The objective is to change into another uniform---they are air sealed and hidden in our jackets.  To then lure two unsuspecting Ascendancy soldiers away once and assume their identities.  That is if everything goes according to plan. Our driver speeds us around the base as fast as it can to our first stop. 

Our first checkpoint, walk into a less utilized cinema and change in the refresher.  "This is our stop," Jace says as he moves in the luxury speeder towards the door. 

I follow out behind him and refuse to make eye contact with any solider that salutes me as I walk down the pathway. We take a sharp right turn and enter the cinema.  Jace doesn't even pay for the entrance fee--he just faces the cashier and glares at him.  The worker has a shiver of fear that runs down his spine and allows the door to open.  The ticket cashier knows that officers of our rank don't need to pay.

We head inside and can see some soldiers in civilian clothing walking to their screening room.  I turn quickly down the hall and see the sign for a female refresher over the door.  Jace walks past me and enters the male refresher. 

There is no one inside---I enter a stall door and lock it behind me.  I rip off the admiral jacket and throw it on the floor by my feet.  Under my shirt is a standard lieutenant uniform---hidden in an air-sealed bag, wrapped around my torso.

I rip open the package and quickly dress into the new trousers and tunic.  I grab the admiral's clothing and package and roll it into a ball.  Taking it, I dump it into the trash incinerator near the exit. With a quick buzz, the uniform is incinerated.  

Turning, I step to the sink and make sure my new hat is straight and hair is styled tight.  I can't let any detail be missed. My sabers are both secured under my new uniform top.  I touch them to make sure they won't fall from any movement.

I make eye contact with myself in the mirror. "It's going to be all over soon."

I exit the refresher and see Jace exiting at about the same time as me.  Together, we walk out of the cinema---without drawing the suspicion of anyone around us.  Marching side by side, we walk out of the building and back to the street.  We don't speak but are observing everyone around us. I can tell we are noticing the same people as we walk down the street.  

"They don't even notice us," I think to myself.

All the First Order soldiers are drunk and disorderly walking about the base.  They have grown lax and unrestrained since their galactic regime has ended. Soldiers fist fighting and grabbing at female workers on base.  I sense Jace's amazement by the sight.  He's never seen anyone in the military acting like this. 

"I guess it was a bunch of misinformation about their military discipline," I chuckle to myself. Jace smiles.  I can tell he was thinking the same thing.

We both stop in our tracks.

"It's here."

Looking up to the sky, The Ascendancy has broken through the atmosphere---early.  Jace and I stop and turn to one another.  

"Now's the time," Jace says firmly to me.  Alarms start to sound indicating a ship is about to dock on base. It doesn't seem to make any of the other soldiers budge from their tasteless activities.  Under the cover of their distraction, we pick up our pace towards the docking ship.