"Shivaay," she uttered in confusion.

Shivaay pulled her inside the house. She was surprised to see Om, Rudra, Kalyani and Priyanka. They were all wearing white. All of them had straight faces.

Her eyes looked around for her Dad. He was nowhere to be seen.

Through peripheral vision, she saw Shivaay putting off his grey blazer. He stood there in his white shirt. She was the only one in black in an ocean of white.

"Papa."

Shivaay closed his eyes. From the time in Greece, he had been trying to gather the strength to convey this news to her. Now, when the time actually arrived, he felt stuck more than ever.

"Why are you all wearing white? And where is Papa?"

Annika was no fool to understand the meaning of too many people in white clothes. Still, her heart wanted to hear what her brain knew was not true. 

"Mr. Kapoor," she turned to Harsh's lawyer, "Where is Papa?"

Shivaay was shocked after seeing her speak like that. He thought a sweet girl like her was unable to do that.

Mr. Kapoor looked at Shivaay. Shivaay shook his head, so the former stood silent.

"Annika," Shivaay hugged her sideways. 

"Shivaay," she clutched on the material of his shirt.

"He is no more." Shivaay  whispered in her ears.

He hoped he did not come out as unsympathetic at the moment. Having lost his parents, he knew how it felt. He genuinely wanted to provide her with the support she needs.

Annika buried her face in his chest. He hugged her. He caressed her hair while she kept crying.

***

Shifting her eyes from Shivaay, she peeked at her left. She was still in his embrace. There, she saw her father.

She was mad at him, angry for binding her in a marriage with a man who didn't care for her. She didn't speak to Harsh since days. She left for Greece before he could make it to Oberoi Mansion. She ignored all his calls. 

At the end who lost?

She couldn't say a proper goodbye to him. The father who she loved, the father she idolized, the father who raised her single-handedly. The father who taught her how to walk, how to read and write, how to talk, the one who told her bedtime stories at night. The father who loved her more than anything else in the world. He was gone. Forever.

Right, at that moment, Annika truly felt the value of relations. How precious they were and how easily people could turn away from them! Only if she didn't turn away from Harsh for her silly disappointment, she could have at least bid him a proper goodbye.

Shivaay felt Annika shiver in his embrace. Her legs felt numb, making her unable to stand. He held her tighter. 

"Who will perform antim sanskar?" a priest asked.

Shivaay cupped Annika's face. Her eyes met his. He wanted her to do it, but her consent was important. She shook her head and buried her face in his chest again.

"Time is running out. You must tell me soon."

"I will do it." Shivaay said as he continued to caress Annika's hair.

***

Annika clutched onto Shivaay's shirt. He doubted how he would perform the last rites if Annika kept holding onto him like this.