20

Andy stares at her denim shorts in horror. "Motherchucker."

It's early—the blood stain is big and apparent and why is her period so early? She doesn't have any pads with her, or extra clothes, and she knows she can call Kat or her roommates for help but she's sure they're in class, and she doesn't want to disturb them—

"Hey, Andy," Bash calls from outside the bathroom. "You passed out or what? Are you coming?"

Andy needs to go home. "Uh, actually. Um, can you pass me my phone from my locker?"

"Sure, hold on." Andy shuts her eyes and waits while Bash grabs it. He slides the phone under the door. "Everything okay?"

"Yes, fine, thank you." She doesn't sound convincing—even to her own ears. Dialing Rhysand's number, she prays he isn't asleep.

He picks up on the fourth ring. "Sunshine," he rasps, like he just woke up.

Andy decides to scold herself for waking him up later. She purses her lips, and meekly, she says, "Rhys, I'm so sorry I woke you up. I just—I have an emergency...?"

"What happened?" he asks immediately, fully alert now. "What do you need?"

She knows she should be embarrassed talking about this with Rhysand, and she is, but she is not going out with blood on her underwear and shorts. "It's, um, it's a girl emergency. My period's early."

Rhysand pauses. And then he asks, "Okay, what do I bring you?"

Andy takes a deep breath. This is absolutely humiliating. "Um—"

"Andy," Bash's voice cuts in from outside the cubicle.

She covers the speaker in her phone with her palm, knowing Rhysand is...iffy about her friendship with Bash. "Yeah?"

"I have a pad in my bag if you need one," he says. "Piper's cycle is irregular so she forgets—and she's asked me and Sam too many times to run to the store to get her one. So I just keep one with me in case. You can borrow my clothes, too."

Andy shuts her eyes. She's going to cry. "Are you serious?"

"'Course I am," he answers, laughing. "I'll go and get what you need. Stay right there."

She takes a deep breath and puts the phone back in her ear.

"Sunshine?"

"Yeah, hi, sorry. Never mind, it's all good now," she says in a rush, still so embarrassed she had to call and let him know about something so small. "You don't need to bring me anything anymore."

Rhysand's quiet for a moment. "Are you sure? I'm not doing anything."

"Yes, I'm sure, I'm sorry for calling and...telling you that." She swallows the lump in her throat. "Um, see you later."

"Wait, sunshine—"

Andy hangs up. She covers her face with her hands and jeepers, why is she crying?

Her phone rings, and it's Rhysand calling. Andy puts it on silent mode and turns it over.

Bash comes back. Andy sniffles and wipes her cheeks with the back of her hand. "Thank you so much," she whimpers. "I'm so sorry you had to—"

"Shut up and take it," Bash says, sliding his duffel bag under the door. "The pad's in there as well as some joggers and a shirt. A jacket, too, if you need to cover your waist."

Andy's crying again. "I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing, Jesus," Bash scolds her. "Go on, I'll take you home afterwards."