15

Bash makes Andy a target during their next PhysEd class.

Her team knows better than to pass her the ball, but even if she is passed the ball, squealing when it almost hits her head, fumbling with her hands to catch it—Johann's there to take it before she's tackled by the other team.

She stays out of their way, mostly, but today, they're doing drills, and Bash seems to want to have fun with her.

"Three members in a group, people," their professor announced with a clap. "Get in the water, pass the ball clockwise with your right hand. Fifteen rounds, go."

Johann was by her side immediately. He grinned. "Ready?"

"I'm sure you'd rather be in a group with someone else, Johann," Andy said sheepishly, dipping her feet in the water. "I'm no good at this."

"I wouldn't go up to you if I didn't want to be in your group, Andy," answered her friend, who jumped into the pool and offered his hand out to her. Andy winced at the coldness of the water and took his hand. Slowly, Johann helped her in. "Plus, don't worry, it's just drills."

"Got room for one more?" asked a deep voice, and Andy twisted her head around to find the other team's captain standing near the gutter, a wicked smirk on his face.

Johann shrugged. "Sure. I'll go get a ball."

Bash got in the pool, eyes on Andy. She hugged her arms around her torso and smiled at him. "Hi again."

"Hi yourself," he said. "You and him together?"

"What?" Andy wrinkled her nose and shook her head. "No, that's absurd. We're just friends."

Bash's smile grew wider. "Cool."

"Um, I'm really not good at this," Andy mumbled. "Maybe you can find another group? Um, you're captain, and all, so this'll be really embarrassing—"

The brunet laughed. "You're cute, Andy, but I don't care. Least I'll have fun with you."

Andy didn't know what that meant. "Huh?"

Bash didn't bother giving her a response, and Johann came back with a wide smile and a ball in his hands. "Ready?"

The fun Bash was talking about meant being ruthless to her with his passes.

Johann's careful—when he throws the ball over to Andy, he makes sure it doesn't come close to Andy's head or even her shoulders or face or chest. The passes are so gentle Andy's starting to get annoyed, but some part of her is grateful—Johann's usual play is actually really powerful.

Bash, however, doesn't have a problem hitting her. As soon as he has the ball, he doesn't give Andy time to prepare before he flings it in her direction.

Andy surges forward to catch it, but it hits the side of her head. "Ow."

"Hey," Johann says with a frown. "Careful."

"Not my fault she didn't catch it," Bash answers with a shrug.

Andy knows he's right. She grasps the ball with her palm and passes it to Johann, who snatches it with ease.

Bash almost hits her neck next. Then it bounces off her shoulder. The next hits her arm.

Johann looks annoyed, but he doesn't say anything else because while Andy winces, she shakes it off and takes the ball into her hand again. It is her fault, anyway. Bash shouldn't be holding back just because she isn't good.

But the next ball Bash throws takes Andy by surprise—it smacks her right in the face.

"Andy!" Johann calls out worriedly, and Andy knows he's swimming towards her. She can't register anything else, though, there are black dots surrounding her vision, and her hand is holding her nose—it hurts. "Hey," her friend says, grasping her shoulder. "Fuck, she's bleeding."