Vanessa Moe

Boss Lady II

"God, your hair is wild!" I exclaimed spinning slightly in my office chair. Vanessa was sitting on my desk. Yes, on my desk.

She worked here as an intern for about a few weeks until I offered her a permanent job alongside Karlie. Vanessa proved to be hardworking and so I had to acknowledge the effort she put up even as an intern. Moreover, Karlie had been constantly complaining about how she needed someone else in her department to help with whatsoever shit I don't remember.

And since then, Vanessa and I got close. Or to be precise, I irritated her enough for her to get used to my presence and slowly start to like being in my company.

Till now I have avoided every thought for possible having a crush on her. But my actions state otherwise. How I go out of my way to impress her, even if it's with my clothes, my jokes, or my attitude towards her.

"Imagine straightening your hair for hours when you were in high school. Like everyone was making out with their boyfriends and there I was, taming this beast." Vanessa laughed, throwing her head back as she did so.

Others may see it as a little dramatic but I know her well enough to know her words don't convey the same amount of energy her actions do. That means there are moments where she'd laugh out loud without a care in the world if she finds something funny. She'd try her best to hide away her tears if someone hits her in her vulnerable spot but won't say a thing. And I loved that about her even if I shouldn't.

Vanessa swung her legs to and fro and I had to put my hand on the thighs to stop them because that gives me anxiety for some unknown reason. My hand came in contact with her warm thigh over the light fabric of her black skirt. I kept them there before patting her thighs awkwardly and dropping my hand.

"God, stop doing that. It's annoying." I grumbled when she did it again. She giggles echoed my office and my swelled up. I loved hearing her laugh. And seeing her happy.

A knock on my door tore me away from my thoughts. "It's me!" Karlie informed from the other side and my eyes widen.

Karlie hates it when I invite Vanessa in and distract her from her job by just talking to her the whole day. She has caught me doing this so many times and all we'd do is lightly bicker about it until Nessa intervenes and pulls Karlie away from me. Again, Karlie is not just my secretary but my close friend too, so she finds humor in this situation.

"Shit! hide," I ushered Vanessa to hide somewhere but I have no place to hide. The younger girl had a mind of her own when she pushed my chair backward and settled down under my desk, which was thankfully opaque.

I had no time to think as Karlie barged into my office as if I'm not her boss and looked at me suspiciously. "Have you seen Vanessa?"

I regained my confidence, pushing my chair in normally as I would do and shook my head, looking confused. "No. You don't know where she is?"

Vanessa put her hands on my thighs and pushed her face towards my knees, the entire body vibrated from holding in her laugh.

"Ugh that girl is so good at what she does but she disappears every other second and ninety percent of the time is your fault!"

I glanced down at Vanessa, seeing her eyes held so much joy that brought me to peace. I averted my eyes and looked at Karlie. "Maybe she's sick or an emergency came up?"

"Yeah, maybe. Anyway, I'll see you during the break." Karlie smiled and exited. And the breath than I was holding in, came out as a sigh.

I rolled my chair backward, letting Vanessa come out of her hiding shell. She laughed again. "Oh god, that was hilarious."