Phoebe Tonkin

Claire

Our anniversary. The day we complete three years of being tied in a knot that now suffocated me like a fish on land. Our married life was as dead as a zombie and there seemed no way to get it back on the track.

Phoebe and I were in love.

That love which turned everything bright and happy, free and fresh. Just like how we used to be.

My glossy eyes tried to read the date and time flashing on my phone.

8th September.

No doubt that was the day we said our vows.

11:57 pm.

And that day is about to be over.

Phoebe has been out since morning, before I even woke up. There was no reply to the 32 texts I had sent and the 8 calls that she never picked up. I have no idea where she is or with who she is spending our special day. All I know that she's either simply ignoring me or she's too busy to make time for her wife. And I have no idea which one hurts more.

I sent her another text with my shaky hands. Having a mental breakdown because the love of my life forget about us on the day that was the most important for us was not something I had ever written in my bucket list. But I'll still strike it off.

Where are you?

I stared at the letters as they gradually became a blur and soon I felt sleep taking over me.

-

The creaking of the door woke me up from my nap. I tighten my hold on the phone which was the first thing I noticed.

My anger and insecurity about our relationship had subsided and instead, I felt so careless that I even ignored my wife stumbling in our room.

"Hey," she casually greeted like she didn't just do the most pissing thing ever, when she acknowledged me waking up.

I said nothing, instead just watched her placing her things neatly at their places. She was wearing a white button up shirt with a pair of black skinny jeans and honestly she looked pretty hot but I won't give her the satisfaction of letting her know that and increase her ego.

"You can go back to sleep, I'm sorry I woke you up."

The lump in my throat formed as I realised that she did not even mention our anniversary even once.

"You forgot."

She stopped removing her shoes and looked at me and by her expression, I knew I was right. She really did forget about it.

"It's 8th today?"

"Was." I noticed the time in my phone which was almost 3 am.

Her hands immediately went to her face as she sighed. "Baby...I'm so sorry. I was just busy and-"

"So busy that you couldn't even read my texts? You couldn't call me once? Phoebe, you've been out for almost 24 hours. Don't tell me you got no time to at least try to reach out to me in that amount of time." I managed to stay calm for the outside but her and I, we both knew internally I was fuming mad.

"I know and I should have at least called you, baby. It's my fault." She ran her hands though her short hair.

"Where were you?"

"I was working."

"Don't lie, I called your office."

By now I was acting like a overprotective wife who people usually preferred stay away from and honestly I had the right to act that way.

Her phone which she kept on the table by the bed started ringing. I picked it up from the table before she could and read out the name to her.

"Who the fuck is Claire?"

"She's just a friend at work. Give the phone to me!"

The slight defence in her demeanour made me wonder why is this person called my wife at 3 am in the morning.

My thumb slid across the screen and I heard a woman's voice from the other side.

"Give the phone to me dammit!" Phoebe  reached out to snatch the phone but I had faster reflexes and so I successfully dodged her.

"Hello Claire." I spoke to Claire, completely ignoring Phoebe.

"Baby, are you home safe?"

Who the fuck is she calling baby?

"Yes, I am Claire. Are you alright?" I tried to match my voice to Phoebe's and guessing how she couldn't make out that it wasn't 'her baby' but her baby's wife, I was successful at it.

"Do you wanna know how I really am?" She seductively whispered to which my head automatically turned towards my dear wife who was chewing on her nails.

Well done.

"Of course I do, Claire."

"Well," she let out an annoying giggle, "I'm still kinda of sore. I mean we did it the entire day today and yeah, I was wondering if you could come at mine tomorrow morning again?"

I held in my tears and cleared my throat. I wasn't upset, no. I was angry.

"Oh Claire, I'd love to come over again. And I agree with you, today was fun!"

"Alright then, bye. Love you."

I threw the phone on the bed as soon as I heard her saying something that I was supposed to.

Phoebe wasted no time in taking her phone. "Phoebe, your Claire wants you to come over tomorrow. I say, why don't you leave right away. Then you can spend more time with your fuckbuddy."

"Look, I can explain-"

"Oh and, take this ring with you too. It'll fit Claire better." I removed my ring which has been there on my fingers for years. I threw it at her.

"Listen to me, please."

"Get out." I did not even realise that I was crying.

"It's 3 fucking AM in the morning!"

"Get out, Phoebe!"

She stood there for a second, but then followed what I said. She slammed the door shut on her way out which made me flinch.

I laid back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. I did not realise I was starting to fall asleep again and before I knew it, I already had.

-

I'm sorry this is kinda late and different but hope you like it :)