..49..

"Mother," Michael sighs happily, walking over to reach down and hug her tightly, "How are you?" he asks, pulling away, but holding her hands. 

"Oh, I'm fine dear. Just the usual," she smiles with very soft voice, "You must be Jamie," she says, smiling at me. 

"Yes, Mrs. Jackson, I am. It's so nice to finally meet you," I smile, and she reaches out for a hug. We're almost the same height, she is just a bit shorter, so it's not hard for me to hug her. Where as Michael has to bend at his waist just to hug her, "I've hear so much about you. Michael admires you." I smile, and Michael blushes. 

"Well, I've heard a lot about you too, but you can call me Katherine," she says, and I blush this time before nodding my head, "Michael admires you as well. He is in love with you, dear," she smiles, making me smile widely. 

"Yes, and I'm in love with him too," I say quietly, as if it's a secret, and all of Michael's brothers start making kissing noises and mocking love sighs or fawns. 

"Oh, shut it," Michael says, turning to them. 

"I'm very glad you could join us for an early dinner," she says, hugging me once more, "I'm excited to learn more about you." she says. 

"You as well, Mrs. Jac- Katherine. Again, it's so great to meet you," I smile, and she nods. 

"Everyone, dinner will be ready soon, so don't go anywhere," Katherine says to the room, as she holds my hand, "I want you to come meet my daughters. I know you already know Janet, but I want you to meet the others." she smiles, "Do you mind if I borrow her from you?" she asks, looking up to Michael. 

"Not at all, Mother," Michael smiles, before winking at me, "I'll stay here with my brothers." he says, leaning down to kiss his mother's cheek before leaning down to kiss mine, "I love you." he whispers against the shell of my ear, as Katherine has already started walking into the kitchen, and I pull him into a kiss once she has gone. 

"I love you more," I smile deviously, and he shakes his head. 

"Don't start this, I don't want to argue in front of my family," he says, jokingly, as I start to walk away. 

"Whatever, baby," I grin, throwing a wink at him over my shoulder, and all of the boys murmur and mock Michael. 

"Jamie," Katherine says as I walk into the kitchen, "This is Rebbie and LaToya," she says, gesturing to two very beautiful women, who are quite taller than me. I spot Janet in the corner, cutting up some raw carrots, and she smiles at me, "And of course you know Janet." she smiles widely, and Janet puts her knife down. 

"Hey, James, how's it going boo?" she asks, pulling me into a tight hug. 

"Janet, I saw you two days ago," I laugh, and she rolls her eyes. 

"I know, but now that my brother has you, I barely see you since you're always on those lunch dates," she scoffs, making me, and the others in the kitchen, laugh loudly, "After all those years of me trying to find you a man, I'm thinking I shouldn't have been trying so hard. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good for you, but I'm lonely as hell!" she exclaims, and the girls laugh, Katherine suppresses a smile. 

"Janet Damita Joe, watch your mouth," she says, shaking her head to try not to laugh. 

"Sorry Mother," Janet smiles before walking over to kiss her mother on the cheek. 

"Do you guys need any help?" I ask, shoving my hands in my pockets. 

"No, dear, that's alright. We've just about finished. Dinner should be ready in ten or fifteen." she smiles, patting me on the back, before walking over to the oven so she can check whatever is in there. 

"How's your mother?" LaToya asks, making my brows shoot up, "Michael told us all about her. We're so sorry for what she's had to go through." she continues, and the three other women nod, and Janet looks the most sorry since she's known me the longest, but I kept it from her for a long while. 

"Thank you for asking," I begin, leaning against a wall, "My Mother is actually doing great, which is the best I've been able to say in a long time," I sigh, trying to hold back my tears, "She has a couple more appointments for chemo and radiation, but otherwise she is good to go." I smile, and the girls nod. 

"That's fantastic," Rebbie sighs in amazement, "It's been six years, right? That's what Michael was saying," she explains, and I nod. 

"Yeah, I mean, the cancer had been spreading for a while before that, but we've known about it for six years." I nod, as I feel my tears start to fade behind my eyes. 

"And what about your father?" Katherine asks, "What does he do?" she asks genuinely. I guess Michael didn't tell her about that one. 

"My Father isn't really in the picture anymore," I sigh, shaking my head. Sure he popped up a couple weeks ago, but he sure as hell is not in my picture. 

"What do you mean, honey?" she asks, probably thinking something to him when he is the something that happened to our family. Well, that and cancer, but it's basically the same thing. 

"Bastard," Janet coughs under her breath, and Katherine shoots her a look. 

"Janet Damita Joe, I will not tell you again," she scolds, and I suppress a smile as the two other sisters giggle together.

"He is, Mother. He treated Jamie and her family very poorly." she explains, and Katherine looks at me with sorrow. 

"Is that true?" she asks, and Janet widens her eyes at the fact that her Mother might now believe her. 

"Yes, that's true," I nod slowly, shifting my eyes, "I guess he was confused on where his loyalties were, so he's just not around anymore." I quirk my lips, and Rebbie and Latoya look at Janet knowingly and she nods. 

"I'm sorry to hear that," Katherine sighs, holding my hands, "Well, you have a new family here, so we can make up for what you've lost." she winks, making me smile. 

"Thank you very much, Katherine, I really appreciate it." I smile, and she pulls me into yet another hug, before LaToya and Rebbie do the same. 

As I'm about to ask about what kind of work Rebbie and LaToya, big booming steps come from the stairs, and the one and only Joseph Jackson walks into the kitchen with a big, booming voice. 

"When is dinner ready! I'm starving!"