..21..

"What?" I laugh, not letting it reach my eyes, "Mama, you need this treatment." I sigh, rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"I don't care, some stranger is not paying for my treatment," she scoffs, looking to Michael, "No offense dear, but I don't even know who you are. Why are you even with my daughter?" she asks skeptically eyeing Michael's tall frame. He clears his throat and folds his hands behind his back.

"Well, your daughter and I have become very good friends over the past week or so," he says honestly, even though it hasn't been that long, "And it was just a coincidence that I was coming out to Houston for business." he says smiling down at me, causing my cheeks to redden, "So it was only right for her and I to fly here together." Michael lies for me. 

"Oh so you were on the same plane?" My Mother asks, giving Michael the stink eye. 

"Yes M'am," he responds politely, not fazed by her glare.

"Please child, do not call me M'am. I'm not that old. You can call me Julie." she says sweetly, making my brows furrow. She never let any of my other.... past "friends" call her Julie. 

"Thank you, Julie." Michael smiles brightly, stepping closer to shake my Mother's hand. He kisses her hand softly, making her giggle like a young school girl.

What the hell is going on here?

"It's very nice to meet you Julie," Michael says, looking to me, "I had to meet the woman who made such a gorgeous daughter." Michael smiles, winking at me.

"Yes, she is beautiful," My Mother smiles widely, winking at me as well, "She gets that from me." she puts her hand on her chest proudly. 

What the fuck? Usually my Mom would scold a man for commenting on my looks in front of her. She's just all giddy with Michael and I don't even know why.

As I'm in a daze, Michael and my Mother are getting along swimmingly just before Michael's cellphone starts to ring, snapping me out of my trance.

"Well it was lovely to meet you Julie, but I have to take this call. Excuse me, I'll be back in a few." he smiles at me before answering and walking out of the room. I look to my Mother and she has recrossed her arms and is now staring at me with an arched brow.

"Why didn't you tell me there was a man in your life?" she asks bluntly, gesturing for me to sit down in the seat at her bedside.

"Mama!" I exclaim, letting out a slight laugh.

"What?" she laughs, holding her arms out to the side, "I'm not stupid, darling. I know you two have some sort of connection, I could sense it as soon as you two walked in here." she smirks as I look down at my hands, "He looks at you in a way that... your father used to look at me. In love." She says slowly, making my head shoot up to look at her.

"What?!" I exclaim, "Michael and I are not in love," I say a little softer this time, not knowing where Michael could be. 

"Could've fooled me," She scoffs, crossing her arms again.

"Michael and I are just friends," I say unconvincingly, "We are not in a relationship." My Mother rolls her eyes, resting her back against the elevated bed.

"You've never been able to lie to me and you won't be able to start now. I know you like that boy, and honestly, I like him too," she smirks, causing my eyes to flick up to hers, "Not in that sense of course, but compared to your other boyfriends."

"What do you mean?" I say slowly.

"Oh come on," she scoffs, "Like I didn't know. They were all assholes." she says bluntly, causing my eyes to widen, "You never brought them by the house, you would never speak highly of them and when I did meet them they were very disrespectful." She lists, disgusted, "I was this close," She holds up her thumb and index finger together, "To kicking their asses. Especially Adam. What I fucking moron." 

"Mom!" I exclaim, laughing at her profanity, "Come on, not all of them were that bad." I mumble, not knowing why I'm sticking up for them.

"I don't give a damn! They sure as hell weren't as good as Mr.Jackson out there," she nods towards the doorway.

"You've known him for all of ten minutes and you already think you know him?" I smirk, folding my arms to mimic her.

"When a mother knows, a mother knows." she says wisely, "I know that you and him have some sort of connection. I don't know why you don't want to admit it to me, but you two are together in one way or another. And if you aren't you will be eventually," she winks.

"Mama," I sigh, looking down at my feet, "I don't think I'll ever know how to be in a relationship again." I mumble, feeling my heart sadden.

"Oh honey," she says softly, reaching out to hold my hand, "Adam was an asshole. I don't think Michael would ever think of doing anything like that to you. Adam was a cheating, lying, abusive bastard and if I had met him as soon as you two started going out, I would've told him to stay the hell out of your life." she sighs, shaking her head remorsefully, "But that's in the past now. Michael is not him, Jamie. He's a good man. It's going to be hard to accept his love, but you will be able to eventually. You just have to trust him." I look up at my Mother as tears build up in my eyes. 

"Will you let him pay for the treatment?" I sniffle, wiping my nose with my sleeve. She let's out a slight laugh and holds her smile.

"If it makes you happy," she drawls sarcastically, making me smile, "I will accept his very generous offer."

"Thank you Mama," I sniffle, resting my head on her lap, hugging her waist. 

"Oh Bambini," she smiles, running a hand over my hair, "I did a good job raising you." she brags, causing me to laugh.

"Yes you did." I agree, as I hear someone step into the room. I sit up and turn my head towards the doorway.

"So what do we think?" Ryan says, looking hopeful. I look to my Mother and she nods.

"I am going to go through with the treatment." she smiles brightly, making my heart warm. 

"Yes!" Ryan exclaims, "That's what I like to hear!" he smiles, writing on his clipboard as Michael walks in the door behind him, making a funny face behind his back. I suppress a smirk, placing my hand over my mouth as Michael smiles, winking at me. 

"What did I miss?" Michael asks, standing behind my chair. 

"Oh, nothing much," I sigh, looking back at him, "My Mother just agreed to go through with the treatment.... with your donation." I smile, standing from my seat.

"Really?!" he exclaims as his perfect smile consumes his face, "That's fantastic!" he smiles, stepping around the chair to pull me into his comforting embrace, "I'm so happy for you." he mumbles into my ear, sending a shiver down my spine. 

"Thank you so much," I say into his hard chest.

"Don't mention it," he smiles, pulling away before walking over to my Mother's bedside.

"Thank you, Michael. You're doing a great deal for my family and I." she thanks him and takes his hand in hers. 

"Don't mention it Julie. I'd do anything for Jamie." he smiles brightly as my Mother looks past him to wink at me. I blush harshly, rocking back on my heels like a happy child. 

"Take good care of her, Michael." My Mother says quietly, winking at him as well. He chuckles, looking down.

"I'll try. You're daughter is a tough case." he jokes, looking back at me. 

"Oh trust me, I know." she plays along as they both to break out in laughter.