..45..

"Do you guys need help with anything?" Michael whispers in my ear as we approach the kitchen. 

"No, that's okay, babe," I grin, kissing him on the cheek, "I'm going to go help my Mum, and you can go and find a seat at the dining room table, okay?" 

"Sure baby," he smiles, pulling me into a longing kiss before patting my bum and walking away from a swooning me. 

"Save me a spot, Michael," I smile and he looks over his shoulder to wink at me, making my cheeks heat up again, "Hey Mumma," I smile, walking into the kitchen, "Do you need any help with getting everything out on the table?" I ask, leaning against the island. 

"Sure, Jams," she smiles, gesturing to every dish there is on the island, "Just help me get everything out onto that table and we'll be good to go." she smiles as Jesse walks in to help as well. 

"That was awkward, huh sis?" he says, pulling a comical face as he nudges my shoulder. 

"Shut up Jesse," I mumble, grabbing my macaroni and cheese with oven mitts, "Don't talk about it." I walk into the dining room and place the dish on the table, feeling Michael and two of Jesse's friends watch me before going back to get more. 

"Julie this looks fantastic," Andrew, one of Jesse's best friends, sighs. 

"Thanks, Drew," she grins, taking a seat at the table as I place the beans in the middle before taking a seat next to Michael. He rubs my lower back, making heat pool in my core. I lean over and kiss his cheek, all of the boys saying a simultaneous 'ew'. 

"Thanks guys," I nod sarcastically, making them all laugh. 

"So, how's it going, James?" Tristan, another one of Jesse's friends, asks. 

"I'm great," I smile widely before looking to Michael and he smiles, "I'm in a really good place right now. Probably the best I've ever been." 

"That's nice, Jammie, but let's say grace so that we can eat," my Mother says, making me blush at the name. I rest my forearms on the table, along with everyone else and we say grace before digging in. 

"So, Michael, what do you do?" Andrew asks, taking a spoonful of roasted potatoes. 

"I am technically a lawyer, but I'm kind of starting to get out of that and more into business and the music industry." Michael explains as I scoop some collard greens onto his plate. 

"What kind of business?" Andrew asks, furrowing his brows as Jesse mumbles something to Tristan. 

"In the music industry, I'm kind of just getting into producing and writing music. However, as a business man, I will meet with companies and help them become bigger and better, for a percentage of the money that they bring in." Michael explains as my Mother looks between the both of us. 

"That's what you do, James," my Mother says, cutting into some chicken. 

"Yeah, I actually met Michael during a business deal," I smile up at him and he grins. 

"That's when I was mostly known as a lawyer, but transitioning to the position I'm in now." Michael explains, "But we actually met before the business deal in the lobby of the building that I own with my sister." 

"You own a building?" Tristan asks. 

"Was it love at first sight?" My Mom asks after Tristan. 

"No." I smirk. 

"Yes," Michael nods and all eyes are on us, "Yes to both." he grins and I furrow my brows. 

"Really? It was love at first sight?" I ask, finding that hard to believe. 

"Awe," My Mother swoons and I roll my eyes playfully. 

"It was more like love at first fight," I smirk, making my brother laugh. 

"I bet it was," Jesse laughs and I shoot him a dirty look, "Sis, I hate to break it to you, but you're a pain in the ass." 

"Jesse!" I exclaim, making Michael chuckle. 

"A cute pain in the ass," Michael adds, making me hit his shoulder. 

"You both are a pain in my ass," I huff. 

"That's enough," My Mother says, trying not to laugh. 

"I love you," Michael says close to my ear, still chuckling. 

"Whatever, boy," I sigh, shaking my head before taking a bite of my macaroni and cheese. 

"This is great, baby," Michael compliments quietly, pointing to my dish, "And Julie, this is awesome. I can't believe you made all of this yourself." Michael says. She smiles, nodding. 

"Well, years of practice dear," she smiles. 

"Yeah, Ma, great as always," Jesse says, and the other boys agree. I smile at both of them, Tristan winking and me and I furrow my brows. Whatever, it's probably nothing. I just hope Michael doesn't see it, or he'll cause a scene. 

"So, Ms. Brown, how many treatments do you have left?" Andrew asks, finishing a huge mouthful of biscuit. 

"About three, Drew," she nods happily, making a ball form in my throat. 

"I'm so happy for you Mama," I grin, tears welling in my eyes and she shakes her head, looking down at her plate. 

"Baby, if you start crying, you're gonna make me cry," she says, holding her hand out to block me from her view. 

"I'm sorry," I sniffle, as Jesse wipes his eyes, "You've been going through this for so long, and I can't believe it's almost over." I sigh shakily, Michael rubbing my lower back. 

"The cancer could come back," she sniffles, finally looking at me. 

"For now," I smile, reaching across to hold her hand, "The cancer is almost over, or at least it is for now." I say hopefully as she squeezes my hand. The doorbell rings and I wipe my eyes and nose before standing, "I'll go get it." I nod, letting go of my Mothers hand and smiling at Jesse. 

I wonder who it is. My Mother almost always had visitors in Houston, but I wonder who she knows around Los Angeles. 

"I wonder who it is," I mumble to myself, walking towards the front door as I rub my hands down my face, "Better be quick, that meal is too good to be missing." I smirk to myself before looking through the glass of the front door to see a tall, broad-shouldered figure. I furrow my brows before unlocking the door and slowly opening. 

My jaw drops and my body goes numb, my mind swimming with thoughts and all of the possible reasons that he could be here. What the fuck is he doing here?!

"Dad?"