..20..

Michael and I walk into the hospital the next morning side by side. He asked if he could hold my hand, but I rejected him since his touch affects me in so many ways, and I don't need to be wet at my Mother's bedside. 

"Are you ready?" I ask as we stand in the elevator. Michael looks at me with kind eyes and smiles,

"Actually I'm kind of nervous," he says in a joking whisper, "I'm meeting your mother, gorgeous, this is the real deal." My stomach flutters as he calls me gorgeous, and I look down at my shoes. 

"Well, this should be good. She can see if you're the right one for me," I joke, causing his eyes to widen.

"Are you serious?" he says nervously. I shake my head, wrapping my arms around his neck. 

"Of course not, I was just joking." I smile as the elevator doors open. 

"Oh I see how it is," a familiar voice smirks from outside the elevator, causing me to whip my arms away from Michael, "I guess you guys made up then," Jesse wiggles his brows suggestively. 

"Jesse Caprice Montebella get a fucking life," I scoff, walking past him, out of the elevator. 

"Oh come on, I was kidding." he laughs, following close behind me, "Hey Mike, how's it going," my brother says to Michael, and I assume they're shaking hands.

"Not bad, how 'bout yourself?" Michael asks politely as I walk into the waiting room. As they converse, making small talk, my mind swims with all of the possible things that could go down when my Mother finds out that Michael wants to pay for her treatment. 

My Mother is unpredictable. 

"Hey Babe, are you ready?" Michael asks, walking up beside me. 

"Babe?" My brother grins widely, "So you guys call each other babe now?" he raises his brows, causing Michael to laugh and me to glare at him. 

"Like I said Jesse, get a life." I growl, turning back to Michael.

"He's just joking," Michael smiles, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear as all of my irritation fades away, "He's just trying to get to you. That's what brothers do." he smiles, staring into my eyes.

"Is that what you do to Janet?" I smirk, wrapping my arms around his waist. 

So much for not touching him. 

"Of course it is. Me and my other brothers bother our sisters all of the time." he says, opening up a bit.

"How many siblings do you and Janet have?" 

"Well there are nine of us all together, but we also have a half sister who is Joseph's daughter." Michael sighs, rolling his eyes.

"Do you want to go in now?" I say, changing the subject, seeing him getting irritated.

"Yeah, whenever you're ready," he smiles, reaching down to hold my hand. This time I accept it, since I was just touching him and there is no point in stopping now.

As we approach my Mother's room, I remove my hand from Michael's.

"What are you doing?" he frowns. 

"My Mother will think we're in a relationship if I walk in holding your hand," I whisper as I see Ryan leaning against a counter down the hallway.

"Well we kind of are," Michael scoffs, "I took you out on a date last night."

"Shh!" I shush him, causing him to arch a brow at me, "We'll establish this later." I say, shifting my eyes to Ryan who is now walking over to us. Michael rolls his eyes, about to speak, when Ryan beats him to the punch.