98 ~ May

"Brett!" Olivia tries but he ignores her, taking a step towards me.

"Did you?" Brett snaps and I can't help but grimace at the broken sound of his voice, the anger clearly not helping his throat to heal. "Speak Savannah!" He almost yells and I jump.

"Yes!" I exclaim, eyes wide as I watch him.

"Are you fucking stupid?" He snaps and I immediately shake my head.

"George. Let's give them a moment." Olivia says softly, gesturing towards her startled looking husband.

"Olivia..."

"Now George!" She snaps, louder than I've ever heard her before. Her husband stares wide eyed before slowly following her out of the room, leaving Brett and I on our own.

"How could you do that?" He says lowly.

"I wasn't thinking."

"Damn right you weren't thinking!" He snaps, "You could have died!"

"So could you!" I retort and he scoffs.

"It's not just your life Savannah!"

"I..." I falter, knowing that he's right. I shouldn't have gone inside, I had more to protect than just myself. "I know."

"You didn't even think about the baby?" He exclaims, eyes wide, "The extra life you put in danger?"

"Of course I did!" I snap, "But I couldn't leave you in there!"

"Yes you could!"

"No Brett!" I yell back, "I couldn't!"

"You are everything that is important to me Savannah." He hurls the words at me, pacing around the room, "And you put it all on the line."

"You're everything to me!" I yell, admitting the truth out loud. "I couldn't just stand back knowing you were in there!" I continue as he stops to look back at me, "I didn't even stop to think." I admit, tears gathering in my eyes. I'm going to be an awful Mother. "One moment I was outside staring up at the fire, the next I was attempting to pull you out." I choke slightly as a sob makes it's way out.

"Sav..." He breathes out, voice quieter as he watches me.

"I wasn't in there long at all." I say, "I'm sorry." I mutter, a tear finally escaping and trailing down my face. He exhales, reaching his arms out towards me.

"Come here." He says, his voice croakier than before. I don't hesitate, throwing myself into his arms as he wraps me into him. He stinks of smoke and hospital, but I don't mind, the feel of his familiar muscular arms all I'll ever need. He rests his head on top of mine and I smile into his chest at the feeling.

"You forgive me?" I mumble against him.

"No." He replies, his voice defeated, "I'm still fucking angry at you for putting yourself and our baby's life in danger."

"Your what?"

Excellent. This is just what we need.

I go to pull out of Brett's arms but he stops me, grabbing hold of my waist and forcing me to stand beside him.

"Dad." Brett greets, his voice stoic. My heart is immediately pounding against my rib cage at the sight of the furious Mr Winters.

"What did you just say?" George queries, crossing his arms across his chest.

"George!" Olivia exclaims, popping up from behind her husband and grabbing onto his arm, attempting to pull him out of the room.

"Did you just hear him?" George retorts, wrenching his arm away from his wife, "A fucking baby?"