89 ~ Month Twenty Nine: April

Is it weird that I can't stop checking up on Brett in the press? Now that I know Lacey is back on the scene I can't stop. I mean, this could be my baby's stepmom, so it's necessary, right?

Lacey Turner. Twenty four years of age. Cheerleader since high school. Pretty abysmal grades. It's like she's another Ashley.

The fan website that I stumbled across was more than helpful, showing me every picture that has ever been taken of the two of them, along with a synopsis;

Brett Winters and Lacey Turner publicly revealed their relationship in September 2025. After one and a half years together it was revealed they had split. In March 2028 they were pictured together once more at the Springtime Charity Gala, held by Winters' parents.

Sitting at my dresser after my shower I type their names into my search bar for the fifth time this week, holding my breath to see if anything new comes up. Since I saw him over a week and a half ago at the bar the media have only reported them as being together once, and that was when they were with a group of the football players. They weren't alone.

As the results load I feel my heart sink. It would appear that today is different. This morning Lacey and Brett were spotted together at Starbucks, laughing and joking as they enjoyed a coffee. The main picture causes my insides to clench together, her hand placed on his bicep as he grins down at her. What the hell?

Chucking my phone over onto my bed I curse out loud, wondering when I turned into a teenager again, stalking my crush.

He isn't even my crush, I'm not chasing after him. I need to stop googling him like a weirdo, it's up to him what and who he does in his spare time. Grow up Savannah!

Staring into the mirror and studying my appearance gives me a far different feeling from three and a half weeks ago when Brett stood behind me as I exploded in ecstasy.

I've noticed from pictures that Lacey has green eyes like mine. Her hair is darker, way longer than my own, making her features stand out. Brett always loved longer hair, and I can't help but feel resentful each time I see her glossy locks.

She's definitely thinner than me, her boobs bigger than even Becky's. I glance down at my own, hidden beneath a baggy red hoodie which is something she probably never does.

She always looks fucking sensational.

Aggressively grabbing onto my hair brush I pull the towel off of my head, letting my wet hair trail down my back. Running my brush through I grimace as I hit knot after knot. These split ends are doing me no favors, a trip to the hairdressers well overdue.

The sudden sound of a knock at the front door makes me curse. I'm not ready for my takeaway yet, having asked them to deliver it later. Oh well, I guess I can eat it early. If I get hungry later I'll just have to dive into our snack selection. I'm sure Becky won't mind.

Dropping my hairbrush onto the side I leave my room before walking over to the wooden door and grabbing onto it, pulling it open. My eyebrows furrow in curiosity at the grinning Alice who quickly reaches up and hands me two new bags of shopping.

"Again?" I mutter and she shrugs.

"Once again, these are definitely not from me." She smirks, "But you know, if anyone asks... they are." She rolls her eyes as I place the bags down, pulling a small tray of brownies out, my face lighting up with a smile.

"My brother makes you happy." Alice notes as she watches me.

"He's thoughtful." I correct, "It's nice of him. I won't deny that."

"If you guys started speaking again I wouldn't have to pretend anymore." She moans and I almost laugh.

"I wouldn't say you're doing a good job pretending at the moment Alice."