61 ~ April

"Don't worry." Brett breathes into my ear, his hand tightly clasped in mine. "Just breathe." He instructs. Yeah, okay. That's easier said than done.

We stand in front of the Belmont Hotel, its grandness overwhelming me as I gaze up. With a light tug Brett pulls me towards the entrance, my heart racing in my chest.

There is absolutely no way that I am going to fit in this evening. I'm out of place, I'm uncomfortable, the only reason I'm not turning around and heading for the nearest McDonald's is because Brett has trapped my hand in a death grip.

We enter the Gala and my mouth falls open uncontrollably. The ballroom is decorated with gold banners, black chandeliers hanging from the ceiling as gold candelabras decorate the edges of the room. Each round table hosts a large centerpiece filled with gold and black flowers. Is it even possible to get gold, sparkly flowers?

"Savannah!" We turn to face an enthusiastic Mrs Winters flying towards us, a pale pink gown hugging her svelte figure. Her hair, whilst still in its signature updo, is emphasized by the addition of a scattering of flowers. She looks beautiful. "How wonderful that you could come." She exclaims, quickly pulling me in for a hug. "Brett." She greets as she pulls back. He smiles, quickly lowering to kiss her cheek.

"Mom."

"I was beginning to doubt whether you'd come!" She chuckles slightly. "He's only ever brought the girls his Father chooses to these events before." She explains, turning to face me. Brett shifts on his feet slightly, an uncomfortable glint in his eye.

"Will you excuse us?" he says to Olivia. "We need to find Savannah a drink."

"Of course!" She exclaims and he grabs hold of my arm, gently leading me away, his expression sheepish.

"So..." I smirk. "Girls that your Father chooses?"

"Daughters of Father's business partners." He elaborates, rolling his eyes. "Makes for a pretty dull evening."

"It does?"

"Absolutely." He confirms as we reach the elaborate bar. "They're all spoilt rich girls who are just looking to get married."

"So instead you brought a poor girl to the Ball?" I tease, smirking as he raises an eyebrow.

"I brought my Cinderella." He retorts, grinning as my cheeks flush pink. "Two glasses please." He asks the bartender. He nods, reaching down and grabbing two flutes of champagne, handing one to each of us.

"Brett?" A feminine voice exclaims from beside us. Turning to face her I take in the expensive black gown, the brunette updo, the red lips.

"Lizel!" Brett replies, a tight smile on his lips.

"It's good to see you." She grins, barely even glancing towards me. "I haven't seen you since we went to the 2021 Christmas Festival together."

"This is Savannah." Brett announces, placing a hand on the small of my back, "My date."

"Nice to meet you." I smile softly before lifting the glass to my lips and taking a drink.

"You too." She grins. "Brett, it's been so long, we really must get together..."

"Sorry Lizel! I hope you don't mind, but one of my Father's partners is over there." Brett points behind her. "I really must introduce myself. I hope you don't mind."

"Wha... Not at all." She manages to stutter out, her expression a little agitated.

"Thank you!" Brett shoots her his million dollar smile before turning to face me, "Savannah?"