44 ~ November

"Where are we going to find food this late?" I scoff, crossing my arms as he grins.

"Savannah, we're in the city now!"

"So? I've never seen anywhere this side of town!" I argue as Brett walks towards the side of the house and down the side, out towards the road. I unwittingly follow him, curious as to where the food is.

"Trust me." He says and I almost laugh. I mean really, after everything he's ever done to me he expects me to trust him? There's more chance of Becky giving up sex.

"As if." I scoff, "Where are you going?"

"Come on!"

"Brett!" I hiss as he walks further down the road. Glancing around at the empty road I grit my teeth, torn between going back to the party or going for food. I know that I am no longer in the party mood, and Elena is fine with Polly - food sounds so tempting right about now. As if understanding my predicament, my stomach rumbles, firmly settling my case.

"Keep up!" Brett calls over his shoulder and I grimace, hurrying to catch up to him.

"Don't order me around!" I snap, "Don't think I didn't notice that you didn't reply about joining the family business."

"I'm a Winters. I'm the heir to the Winters Atlantic Corporation." He snorts, "That's not something you're able to forget."

"Don't they care about your happiness?"

"We've been over this thousands of times."

"I know but..." I trail off, "I don't understand why they don't want you to be happy."

"They probably can't see that I'm not." He shrugs, "My Dad's the worse of the two. At least my Mother sometimes listens to me." He adds, "She cares a little too. She told me I had to get rid of that motorbike."

Damn, I remember that motorbike. I still remember how turned on I felt staring at him dismounting from it. And now it's gone? I suppose that's a good thing.

"She did?"

"She saw me return on it after we went to the lake that time." He laughs at the memory. I feel a slight pang in my chest at the happy memory I have, one of my favorite moments of that Summer. "Apparently it's too dangerous. She sold it the next day." He grumbles, "I didn't tell you because I didn't want to disappoint you."

"After everything that happened I don't think that should have been your concern about what disappointed me." I scoff, crossing my arms once more as we walk close to the park.

"Fair point." He admits, his voice quiet. I bite my lip as we continue to walk, the silence eating up the tension between us. It's a comfortable silence, and I know that both of us don't quite know what to say next. Mistakes were made between us, and it's hard to know whether we'll ever be able to see passed those.

As we round the corner Brett gestures before him and I look up to find a small light, the tiny stand still open.

"Hot dogs?" He asks as I look on, speechless.

"I still don't know if I like them." I eventually reply.

"You devoured that one at Stanford pretty quickly." He counters.

"I was hungry." I justify, shrugging. "Sure, why not." I give in, the slight drunken state of my mind craving the greasy fast food.

"Two please." He asks the guy, who nods, quickly producing two. I don't even want to know how long they've been cooking for, but frankly, Tipsy Savannah doesn't care that much. "Here." Brett hands me one, before pulling out his wallet. I glance over the various condiments set out alongside the table beside the stand and select a couple.