39 ~ September

I've just finished tying my hair up on top of my head when a soft knock sounds from the door of my room. I immediately groan, having tucked myself up in my blankets, dragging myself out of them and over towards the door. I swear, if it's Elena forgetting her keys again I'll kill her. We've only been here for two weeks and she's already lost them eighteen times and fifteen lectures from me just doesn't seem to do the trick.

I turn the handle, pulling it open swiftly, eyes narrowed as I ready myself to scold her. I stop with a start when I realize that Devil Winters stands at the door, a small smile on his lips. Without hesitation I roll my eyes and begin to shut the door in his face, desperate to avoid any impending conversation. I have nothing to say to him.

"No wait!" He objects, putting his foot in the doorway, effectively stopping me. I glare at him, impatient. "Please."

"What do you want?" I snap, crossing my arms.

"I wanted to come and see you. I need to apologize."

"Goodbye." I scoff, grabbing hold of the door, ready to shut it once more. He's hilarious.

"No Savannah!" He exclaims, holding his arms up in surrender. I shake my head, scowling as I tap my foot on the floor impatiently. He lowers his hands, his expression becoming sheepish as he shifts on his feet. "I'm sorry." He says softly and I feel my eyebrows rise in surprise. "For what I said the other night."

"I'm not going to apologize to you." I retort, "If that's what you think will happen."

"I wouldn't expect you to." He assures, shooting me a small smile. "How have you been?"

"I'm not doing this with you Brett."

"Come on." He urges, leaning against the doorframe. "Tell me you haven't wondered about how I've been this last year."

"I haven't." I snort, "Didn't let you cross my mind once this last year."

"That I don't believe."

"Believe what you want."

"Well I've thought about you." He replies, his expression cautious.

"Yeah, and laughed about it with your mates. I get it."

"No Savannah!" He objects, his eyes filling with an emotion that I can't quite recognize. "I've always regretted what happened and I'm so sorry..."

"Brett, I don't want to hear it." I snap, cutting him off. "You never would have done it if you were going to regret it as much as you say."

"I'm sorry." He bows his head, his eyes dropping, his face falling with defeat.

"I'm really busy." I retort, gesturing behind me at the stack of library books strewn across the bed.

"You're going to major in English?"

"Yeah." I answer, crossing my arms across my chest. "I thought about History for a long time. But English seemed like it would give me more skills going forward." I shrug. "Especially not knowing what I want to do when I leave."

"You always liked English." He smiles slightly and I shift on my feet.

"Yeah." I reply curtly, "Why are you here Brett? You were going to Stanford."

"I changed my mind." He explains, looking sheepish once more. "Stanford wasn't my dream. It was yours. And I knew you didn't want to see me again." He finishes with a shrug.

"I didn't get in." I say quietly.

"What?"

"I didn't get into Stanford."