Chapter 6: Council of Atlantis

Start from the beginning

"No," Amphitrite said. "You are not going to meet her until coronation, and also the day of your engagement party."

"So I'm going to be engaged to a mermaid I've never seen before?" Percy protested. "Not even one look?"

Amphitrite raised an eyebrow. "I assure you she is very beautiful," she said. "Noa is pretty for mermaid standards but Sylvia is considered extremely beautiful and was once mistaken for a goddess."

"It's not really her looks I'm worried about," Percy mumbled. "This just doesn't seem right."

Amphitrite gave Percy a sympathetic look, her emotionless face warmed into something like pity and understanding. She gently put a hand on Percy's shoulder. "You'll get used to it." was all she said before whistling for Noa to bring Percy back to his chambers.

Percy woke up extra early the next day, his nerves making it quite impossible to fall back to sleep. Noa was likely still asleep so he didn't try to call her. Percy had been given a small conch shell, and Noa would be summoned every time he blew on it. He had hung it around his neck with a piece of seaweed. He tossed and turned in his seashell bed, his mind racing. He thought about Annabeth and wondered what she was doing right now.

Probably still asleep, he thought. A wave of sadness crashed over him but he pushed them back.

Suddenly, there was a knock on his door, then Noa's voice floated across the room. "Percy?" she called. "Are you up? We need to get ready, the council will be here in a while. Amphitrite moved the meeting earlier so you won't turn back into a human halfway."

"Yeah I'm up," Percy said, sitting up. He stared at his emerald tail, he had grown fond and attached to it, he would be sad to see it go. "Do I have to wear anything in particular?" he asked, letting Noa in. This time, the diadem was gone and seashells were woven into her hair instead.

"No, not really," she said. "Amphitrite and I agreed to let you go as yourself, well almost yourself," she said, eyeing his tail. "You don't get to wear the crown yet since you can only wear it after coronation. So, no. Not much, you're pretty much ready."

"Any tips on how to speak?" Percy asked.

Noa raised an eyebrow. "Try to be polite even when you're pissed off, show them you have elegance and grace which most of them do not. Act like you know things even if you don't. Act superior and act like you've already gotten your crown. Lastly, don't provoke the council because they can really be a pain in the---"

"I get it," Percy said. "Thanks."

"Anytime!" Noa said brightly. "Come on, let's go." Noa led him to a large, circular room which a long table. Pillars carved with sea creatures and objects surrounded the room. About a dozen or more mermen and mermaids were seated at each seat at the long table, leaving only one, at the end of the table for him. Percy gulped, scared all of a sudden. "Hey," Noa said softly. "You defeated Kronos, you defeated Gaia, you can handle them."

"But I wasn't alone before," Percy whispered. "I'm alone now."

Noa shook her head. "You aren't alone, Percy," she said, her bright eyes filled with confidence in him. "Because everyone is in here with you." She pointed a finger to his heart. "Your friends, your family, your girlfriend," she said and Percy knew she didn't mean Sylvia. "You are never alone, Percy. Because no one is truly alone, remember that."

Percy inhaled deeply and breathed out a sigh, letting the memories of his friends run through his mind and finally stopping on a memory of Annabeth, at how she'd be disappointed if Percy just chose to run away now after everything.

Noa smiled. "Now go in and make them bow to the sea god, Perseus Jackson."

"