Chapter Fifty-Six: Fay

I was furious. Keary had betrayed me. Somehow, I had known that Keary was getting soft. But I never would have imagined that he would abandon the plan of getting revenge, and try to stop me in the process. Ever.

Fuming, I watched him walk out, knowing there was nothing I could do to stop and convince him to finish the plan.

I whirled around to face the princess, who was crying over her father. I knew the old fool wouldn't last long, but at least he would see his daughter, his only heir, tortured before his eyes, and knowing there was nothing he could do.

I took one step forward, when the stupid soldier who had caused me so much trouble again stepped between me and the princess. I snarled in rage, then realized I had dropped my knives. I flipped back to where I had dropped them, and quickly picked them up, blocking a jab from the soldier.

Suddenly, the door burst open, and several more guards rushed in. In the moment that I flicked my eyes to the door and back at the soldier who I was locked in combat with, the man pulled his sword out and swung his sword at me. I tried to jump back, but the sword still connected with my chest. It sliced from one side to the other, even cutting into my ribs a little. It hurt like fire.

I doubled over in pain, dropping one sword and falling onto my knees. My frustration with Keary was still coursing through me, clouding my thoughts, but a plan started to form anyway.

I glared up at the soldier with all of the fury I could show. He just stayed where he was, looking back at me. I could see hatred in his eyes, and knew that he would kill me if he had the chance.

"Drop your weapon, Fay," he said icily.

"No," I said. I wanted to scream in pain. It hurt so bad, but I managed to keep it in by biting the inside of my cheek, which was now bleeding as well.

He stepped closer, and I saw my chance. I grabbed one of my knives, and swung a clumsy blow at him. He blocked it, but it still pushed him back.

Then I felt the tip of a sword on my neck. I mentally kicked myself for being so careless as to forget about the other guards. My vision started to blur, and I felt myself pitch forward. I blacked out before I even hit the ground.